ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By newbie101
#350721 Hey fellas, long time no see. That's because I've had no issues with my civic until now, 2 years later! :woot: :woot:

So, yesterday I noticed my car started, but then immediately died. I turn the key to ON, and all is well; all dash lights come on. I turn the key to START, let go, and it immediately dies and my speedometer assembly lights go out but my radio continues to get power. It started by only doing it two or three times before it would sustain, but is now refusing to sustain and I can't move it from my driveway.

I've read that this could be the ignition switch, and if so I have read two things: 1, you replace the whole assembly (cylinder included) and get a new key
2, you replace just the back part with the wire and keep the original key and cylinder.

Option 2 seems much easier (and cheaper) than option 1. Anyone want to chime in?

Extra info: No CEL, checking the main relay tomorrow, no other electrical issues have been experienced, all preventative maintenance up to snuff (oil, air filter, belts, etc)
By HeikDiesel
#350741 I've had ignition switches go out to where I had to slightly rotate the key back from the on position to keep it running. I replaced the ignition switch with a used one and re-did the tumblers in the doors for that key.
By newbie101
#350746 Ok, that sounds quite similar to mine. I kick the key back a bit when it stumbles and it kicks right back up and runs like usual.

So you replaced the whole assembly? I'm just a bit cash poor is all, so I'm trying to make sure I get the best bang for my buck while I try to fix the problem. :thumbdown:
By HeikDiesel
#350753 I had a used ignition out of another car so I cut slits in the safety screws around the column and just installed the new switch. That may not be how you want to fix it but that's how I did it. I then had a buddy re-key my doors to match. Only thing that sucks about that is you now can't cut a key to your car based on the vin. That would also be a good thing depending on where you live
By ExCoupe94
#350773 When I had this issue about 3 years ago I took the switch off of the key cylinder and pulled it apart... carefully to not break the brittle plastic clips and cleaned the spring loaded contacts with a wire brush and some rubbing alchohol, carefully put it back together and haven't had the issue since but be there are tiny springs in there that can fly out NEVER to be found again and the switch won't work without em.
By newbie101
#350793 ^^Thanks, I'm going to try taking out the back section and inspecting that first. Only thing is, I'm having a hell of a time getting the plastic upper cover (The one right behind the steering wheel) off the column. I just need it to snap apart in the middle but can't seem to get it. Anyone have any tips with that?
By suspendedHatch
#350799 Did you take the screws out?

Are you going to verify the ignition switch or just roll the dice?
By newbie101
#350803 ^^I actually got the cover off, now just working on removing the wiring.

Do you mean verify as in check that the ignition switch is getting power? I wasn't planning on it, my plan was to pull the wiring off first, as it was suggested earlier that cleaning the back part may fix the problem :?

If that doesn't work the rest just has to come out to put a new one in, if I'm right? But by all means if there is a better way to do this I'm all ears, troubleshooting electrical problems is NOT my strong suit by any means :lol: