ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By Watchmyhax
#350412 Like the title says, my car is picking and choosing when it wants to prime the fuel pump on start, and I've been having an idle issue as well. Some details about my car - I just got it about 2 months ago.
Red 92 eg hatch 5 speed with a d16z6 swap
Things I've done/replaced:
-fuel pump, main relay
-NGK spark plugs(gap@.044) and NGK blue wires
-distributor cap(leaking a tiny bit of oil even with new gasket)
-cleaned thermostat house ground, new battery terminals and ground
-replaced/cleaned trans to chassis ground, valve cover to chassis ground
-new coolant(flushed and air bled), thicker all-aluminum radiator w/cap
-thermostat, ect sensor, iac valve, pcv valve
-all mentioned grounds that I've done are clean and hitting bare metal
-removed evap container + plugged vac lines on IM
-removed vac control solenoid, basically did a vacuum delete to get rid of all the vac lines so I could see if the idle issue was a possible vac leak
-throttle body gasket, air filter, cheapo SRI from oreilly's
-cleaned FITV and TB, didn't replace

Trying to think of more but i'll just post for now and edit if I need to.

I checked voltage to the fuel pump just about an hour ago, and the voltage went from 0v, 4v, 8v, 12v progressively over a second or two. Isn't it supposed to be an instant 12v connection as soon as the ignition is switched on? Also, checked the main relay with a voltage light and one of the connections yeilded a very dim light (can't remember which one but I can look if needed, assuming it's not normal). Once I get the car started, 9.8 times out of 10 it doesn't have to wait to prime again until the car is cold(very rare that it won't prime when warm).

After I get the car on though, is when my idle issue comes up. I've replaced quite a bit as you can see, and the issue is almost gone... but after buying a new iacv for $180.00 I'm a little upset that the problem isn't completely gone now. It only seems to idle surge (up and down between 300-600) when the car is up to operating temp, so I guess my fitv is fine. I was thinking maybe my fuel pump isn't grounded out right, causing it to not get a constant stream of fuel when I'm idling, or maybe my ecu is going out. I can also hear the fuel pump whine alternate when I turn my blinkers on. Based on this information, does anyone on the forum have anything they think could be the solution?
By teal_dx
#350426 Did you replace the main relay with a brand new one or one from another car?
Intermittent no-start is usually the main relay and they usually act up when the weather changes. (Is it just starting to get cold in TX?)

The solder joints on the little board inside develop tiny cracks over time from expanding/contracting and those tiny cracks are barely visible but are big enough to interrupt the current.

Also it wouldn't hurt to change the filter because that's something that a lot of people forget to do and who knows when the previous owner changed it last. You've replaced everything else, car should be fresh to go.
Here's some info on the main relay troubleshooting: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1563
:thumb:
By Watchmyhax
#350427 I replaced the relay with a brand new one. Funny you say that they act up in cold weather, because it is getting cold around here. I have a soldering iron somewhere, I could put a tiny layer of solder down on the joints to make sure they connect even in cold weather. Would that help a brand new relay, or should a brand new one be connecting every time?

Also, did you mean the fuel filter? I'm pretty sure the PO wasn't lying when he said it was new. It looks like it just came out of the box. Thanks for the link, i'll check it out!
By teal_dx
#350444 Yeah i meant the fuel filter. As for the main relay, I never heard of a brand new one needing to be re-soldered... You never know but I doubt it. I'm wondering if there's a faulty connection somewhere else in your wiring. Is the wiring all factory?
By #ROBIN#
#350923 try checking the alternator...just went through changing and buying all new parts for my sedan to sort out weird idle and jerking/stalling etc issue and found out that a bad alt can cause many crap be it electrical to mechanical as our cars need a constant voltage to run perfectly.

So do check that. and also do a quick google check and see the symptoms of a bad alternator.

But before you take my word for it and go out and get a new alt do get it checked out at your local garage

Hope you come right.
By #ROBIN#
Watchmyhax wrote:Like the title says, my car is picking and choosing when it wants to prime the fuel pump on start, and I've been having an idle issue as well. Some details about my car - I just got it about 2 months ago.
Red 92 eg hatch 5 speed with a d16z6 swap
Things I've done/replaced:
-fuel pump, main relay
-NGK spark plugs(gap@.044) and NGK blue wires
-distributor cap(leaking a tiny bit of oil even with new gasket)
-cleaned thermostat house ground, new battery terminals and ground
-replaced/cleaned trans to chassis ground, valve cover to chassis ground
-new coolant(flushed and air bled), thicker all-aluminum radiator w/cap
-thermostat, ect sensor, iac valve, pcv valve
-all mentioned grounds that I've done are clean and hitting bare metal
-removed evap container + plugged vac lines on IM
-removed vac control solenoid, basically did a vacuum delete to get rid of all the vac lines so I could see if the idle issue was a possible vac leak
-throttle body gasket, air filter, cheapo SRI from oreilly's
-cleaned FITV and TB, didn't replace

Trying to think of more but i'll just post for now and edit if I need to.

I checked voltage to the fuel pump just about an hour ago, and the voltage went from 0v, 4v, 8v, 12v progressively over a second or two. Isn't it supposed to be an instant 12v connection as soon as the ignition is switched on? Also, checked the main relay with a voltage light and one of the connections yeilded a very dim light (can't remember which one but I can look if needed, assuming it's not normal). Once I get the car started, 9.8 times out of 10 it doesn't have to wait to prime again until the car is cold(very rare that it won't prime when warm).

After I get the car on though, is when my idle issue comes up. I've replaced quite a bit as you can see, and the issue is almost gone... but after buying a new iacv for $180.00 I'm a little upset that the problem isn't completely gone now. It only seems to idle surge (up and down between 300-600) when the car is up to operating temp, so I guess my fitv is fine. I was thinking maybe my fuel pump isn't grounded out right, causing it to not get a constant stream of fuel when I'm idling, or maybe my ecu is going out. I can also hear the fuel pump whine alternate when I turn my blinkers on. Based on this information, does anyone on the forum have anything they think could be the solution?

this here is what leads me to think your alt is on its way out... when i turn on my blinkers/indicators my speedo drops to zero or my lights will dim etc.