ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By Leppy
#339866 Ok, I have a serious question for those with more experience and knowledge than me.

I just finished finals, so I'm about to start tearing down bits of my car for some TLC, part of that will be pulling the distributor and checking it out. I just replaced the cap and rotor yesterday because it was sputtering on the highway while holding 4-5k rpm's. It's still doing it, and sometimes it sputters or drops RPM's while idling. By sometimes, I mean first cold start (which is understandable) and after pulling off the interstate and coming to a rest.

My MAIN question is that the distributor is for a JDM B16, not the B18C GSR spec I have in the car. The one I pulled off initially that's currently junk is larger than the one I have. Is this part of the issue? I'm tuned to rev to 9000 RPM's on a Skunk2 mani and larger TB, which I happily tap into every few days.

Do you think having a smaller B16 Dizzy on a B18 is causing it to wear prematurely? Should I get a Type-R Dizzy or a aftermarket (MSD?) ignition system instead?
By Leppy
teal_dx wrote:Not sure on B series dizzys but had you replaced the plug wires or plugs yet?

yeah, brand new OEM wires and GSR plugs, less than a year old.
By Leppy
#340464 Well, my car left me stranded on the side of the road a couple blocks down from my house. Dizzy took a crap and died.

Got it home and took the dizzy apart and found out the wires got cancer and died.

SO, I'm in the market for a new dizzy. Any recommendations? Should I get a OEM GSR dizzy? Stick with a 99 Civic Si OEM dizzy since I have spare internal parts for it? Or are there any aftermarket brands to recommend? (like, will a Duralast or Import Direct brand be fine for 9k RPMs?)
By ihavesol93
#340465 i honestly would swap out internals... but thats me with a milk crate full of obd0 and obd1 dizzys in my garage.
By Leppy
ihavesol93 wrote:i honestly would swap out internals... but thats me with a milk crate full of obd0 and obd1 dizzys in my garage.

It's the wiring harness inside the housing that's fubar. I have spare ignitors and such.

Are OBDI and OBDII dizzy's different? From the looks of it, I seem to need a TD68, though I'm pretty sure I have a TD44 on there now and the dizzy cap is for a 99 Si.

I'm getting confused... I need help figuring this out.
By Leppy
#340473 I'm gonna order a brand new Richporter brand TD-68 once funds permit.
By Leppy
ihavesol93 wrote:obd1 has two grey plugs. obd2 has one big grey plug.

Thanks, mine has two