ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By rjl1203
#337607 Okay. Ive used google, with no specific results. I have a 1993 lx with the d16z6 from my previous car. Its running a P06 ecu, and im having tons of electrical issues. There were no issues when my engine was in the old car. But now the car has a roaming idle, the speedometer doesnt work, dash lights dont work(but running lights do. And the vtec harness was cut out. My question is, will the p28 fix the issues? Also, the ex the engine came from was a 5 speed, and the car is now automatic. It just confuses me since all these issues came as soon as the engine was swapped. And i tried cleaning the IACV. All it did is make my car idle at 400 rpms. And when i idle it up with the adjustment screw, it goes back down to 400 rpms when i turn the car off and back on.
By xzachrickx
#337610 make sure you have your map sensor and tps plugged into the rigth sensor, check grounds, make sure the t stat housing ground is hooked up and is good. also you car now is an auto d16z6 on a po6?
By rjl1203
#337616 Should i just swap the tps and map sensor plugs and see if that works? And where are the grounds i should check? Sorry if thats a noob question. And yes, the car is auto with a p06. Lx guage cluster too(although im pretty sure that wouldnt affect anything,could be wrong tho). And the thermostat housing and ground is good, just replaced a stuck thermostat. Most people would probably say just replace stuff until its fixed. But im not made of money so if anyone has done this before and had similar problems, your solutions/insights would be appreciated.
By teal_dx
#337621 So to be clear, you drove the 93 lx before the swap and it didn't have any of these issues until after the z6 swap? What do you mean by vtec was cut out of the engine harness? If the wiring is hacked up ( may be causing some of your problems) I would keep the 93 lx engine harness and just run the 2 wires to the p28 ecu for vtec. You will need the ecu that works with your tranny though. Clusters are swappable so it is either a bad cluster or bad wiring. There could be a number of reasons for bouncy idle... Lets start with the check engine light. Does it work and did you scan the codes? http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1558
By brandoff88
#337639 first your main issue is the p06 ecu, you should have an AUTO p28 so that you have the proper maps for your motor (ignition, fuel, etc) guage cluster does NOT matter, its more of a visual thing, and bouncy idle could be one of two main things, vacuum leak, or you didn't bleed the coolant system after swapping motors, I was guilty of the later a couple times, lol. take care of your ecu, bleed the coolant system and check for vacuum leaks. then like teal said, check to make sure theres a bulb where the check engine light is, scan the codes and go from there, that should take care of most your problems, hope this helps

oh and grounds to check are tranny to frame, thermo housing, neg battery to bay, you SHOULD have one from core support to valve cover, but most people take em off, and theres a ground under the dash behind the cluster I forgot once and the car didn't run very well
By suspendedHatch
#337644 You need the right ECU but that wont fix all the problems you're having. It should run satisfactory with a P06.

The Z6 has a MAP sensor on the throttle body, and the LX has a MAP sensor on the firewall (up until 94 I think). You should plug in the throttle body MAP sensor and remove the firewall mounted one.
By rjl1203
#337646 No, the z6 came from my previous car(95 EX). All we could find to put it in was a 93 lx. And by the vtec not being hooked up, i mean my dad was being a smart ass and cut the wires to it and threw away the plugs that went to it. The CEL does work, i'll read up how to check the codes and post what i find.
By rjl1203
#337647 I should've probably mentioned the only reason i put a z6 in an lx is because the ex was totaled, and the only thing that was savable was the engine.
By rjl1203
#337685 Okay. The harness coming from the ecu is a nightmare. There is NO plug to jump to check the cel, its been cut out. And there are wires cut and remmoved from the plug on the driver side. Anyone know how hard it is to put iin a new wiring harness? Cuz this is just pissing me off. No wonder the car isnt running right.
By rjl1203
#337858 Okay. So i teporarily swapped an automatic p28 into the car. Test drove it, and the car doesnt run any differently. It wont go past 6000 rpm, WOT. And the car it came out of goes all the way to 7000. Is there anther computer somewhere? Something is limiting it, and i have no idea what it is.
By JUICE
#337859 Autos usually won't even go past 5k @ WOT. But if it's still running ruff, I'd worry about how high it revs later..
By rjl1203
#337869 I agree. Its an auto, itll never be fast. It just confused me that with the proper ecu it made no difference at all. My only concern now is the roaming rpms. It only happens when im trying to maintain speed, or very gradually speed up. It will idle up and down about 500 rpms and wont pull unless i push it harder. And there is a noticable jerk when i push or let off the gas, every time. Could that be a vaccum leak? Or a TPS? Since its obviously not the computer.
By JUICE
#337872 Did you put a new fuel filter in the lx when you did the swap? Had very similar issues when I first got my hatch years ago, $14 new filter took care of it. Never hurts to do anyway. most stock/untouched old civics I've seen still had a crusty oem filter on them.
By rjl1203
#337873 I didnt put a new filter on. I was happy to have a car again, completely slipped my mind. And it kinda makes sense. So ill try and see if that helps anything.