ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By panic989
#332264 Hey guys and girls. So I posted on here a while back asking about some pre tucked wiring harnesses and if anyone had dealt with them before. I did get some good feedback on them but decide to go the DIY route. Last night I went and picked a non vtec engine harness for my '93 CX hatch with a GSR swap in it. I was just going to swap the two harnesses out for one another and just ghetto rig the vtec in straight to the ECU. When I got to the shop I started to dig into the harness just to make sure that nothing was really wrong with it and thankfully there were only a few janky wires so there wasn't a whole lot to fix. And by fix I mean go through, solder and heat shrink all the bad wires and connections so that I know it is done correctly.

This Is my old harness but this is basically what I started with.

This is half way through tearing the harness apart (when I say tear apart I mean take all the tape and wrap off). As I took it apart I tried to keep the wires that were bunched together together with zip ties. That is what the yellow and blue things are hanging off the harness.

This is the harness with all the tape, and wrap taken off. Still all zip tied together. It is still a non vtec harness at this point.

Side note. I was able to depin the old vtec harness and take those three wires, vtec oil pressure switch, vtec solenoid, and the ground for vtec. I spent a good half hour to 45 minutes trying to find some info on deppining the male ends of a harness but wasn't able to find anything so the things I did find, all on deppinging the female ends, I used and tried on the male ends of the harness. I was able to depin the harness successfully, trying first on a pin I wasn't going to need for the new harness. I forgot to take pictures of that process but the next time I'm at my car, probably Friday, I will take some pictures and make a small write up on that as well. I was also able to run it into the new harness and get that, to what I believe to be, ran correctly through my plugs to the ecu instead of straight to the ecu like a ghetto jumper harness.

I eventually quit working on the car after a solid 13 hour all nighter trying to get it semi tucked and this is where I left it at. If you look sat the left side you can see the plugs are still there but that is just for now they are going to stay like that. I got the vtec wires running behind the block, the starter wires are hiding, and all of the driver side harness wires are hiding for now. I wasn't able to get in and try to tuck my headlight harness last night but that will come eventually. I have to fix that anyways.

This is trying to show you the rear of the engine harness, or lack there of, and all the wires poking out but it wasn't the greatest picture for that. Again, I'll get another picture on that next time to show you a little better.

All in all it is very time consuming. It gets irritating at times, especially when you replace the same clip 3 times. But it is a lot of fun. Its cool figuring out what wire runs where and how it all sort of works. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Oh, and I got everything hooked up but I'm not even getting power to turn the car over. Battery is good, Optima yellow top, I checked the fuse box power and it is hooked up correctly. I made sure the ground on the block is good, I had to hook mine to the back of the block because the original spot has a bolt sheared off inside it. And my battery ground is good. Any ideas?
By panic989
#332313 So I got the mild tuck done today. Got rid of a few things and move some wires and hangers for the wires in the bay. This is what is going to happen for now and eventually I will do a full tuck. I got the whole harness re-wrapped and looking nice but I forgot to take pictures of that because I had a friend helping me out and didn't want to waste all the time taking pictures of the harness.

This is the passenger side of the bay. I got rid of the hanger that sits in front of the battery and pulled everything into the bay.

Another view of the passenger side of the bay. Some wires are still exposed as you can see here but they are behind the block and hidden from view so I left them unwrapped for ease of use when I go in and do the full tuck.

Driver side. I got rid of the hanger on that side as well for the three large clips and pushed the harness into the bay.

Driver side again.

The only wires that can be clearly seen now are the injector plugs and the plug on the intake manifold. everything else got pulled out of the way as best as possible. Hope you guys like it. Let me know what you think.
By bks84
#332997 for me, when i did mine i used a spare block and head for mock up. just measured from a common point on the motor in the car to the firewall and transferred that measurement to my "work piece" harness for my "pigtail" length. made it a lot easier than putting it, taking it out, guessing, in, out, guess, in... and hope it works.

as for your no start, if its not cranking, check the start signal wire (black/white stripe), if its cranking but wont start, check to make sure you didnt switch the two 14pin plugs... like i did (lol)

other than that, i guess it all looks good, kinda hard to tell.
By panic989
#333003 It starts and runs like a champ. But that is a pretty genius idea. Too bad I don't have any spare blocks laying around. Lol
By Ajax1989
#333005 I thought the title said stared a semi truck lol
By panic989
#333027 Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry to disappoint gentlemen. Lol
By ko_gsr
#333527 Are you going to relocate the battery? imo it cleans the bay up quite a bit. i'm running an oddesy battery under my passenger headlight/fender only downside is if your battery dies
By panic989
#333584 When I do the full tuck I will. The battery will be relocated probably to the trunk area and I will just have the little terminals poking through where the battery was, the clutch master cylinder will be tucked up under the grille thingy at the top towards where the windshield wipers go because I only have one anyways, the brake booster will be deleted, and the whole bay will be shaved completely smooth. This is all a long way off though. I have a CRX project coming up that I will need to get running and road worthy for my DD because my hatch doesn't have AC and I live in Arizona. It was no joke 120 degrees today.
By CopyLifted
AjG20 wrote:I thought the title said stared a semi truck lol

It does say started a semi TRUCK. lol