ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By rustyrex
#328024 So, i did a extremely mild wire tuck. Just the headlight harness on both sides and the wiper motor wires. Now all of a sudden I am geting no power to the inside of my hatch. I just did all my suspension work and clutch. I put the battery in about 2 hours ago and went to turn the key and nothing happened. No lights on the dash, no dome light, I tried to turn my headlights on and honk the horn and nothing. So far i have checked:

All terminals on both sides of the fuses in the under hood fuse box, all are getting power.

Brand new battery

Checked the valve cover, tranny, battery, and water neck ground all are good and tight.

Checked all connectors at the dashboard fuse box, all are plugged in.

I opened the ECU, i didnt see anything burnt and it didnt smell like there wa either.

I did seperate the connectors for the under hood fuse box and re-loom them seperately. This might be the issue but i have no idea. Like i said, power is getting from the battery, to the under hood fuse box and then it seems like it stops. When i turn the key absolutely nothing happends. Does anyone have any ideas on where i should start?

Also does anyone have a diagram or a picture on the connectors for the under hood fuse box? This way i can check and make sure i put the correct wires into the correct pins.
Last edited by rustyrex on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
By bigJOE671
rustyrex wrote:So, i did a extremely mild wire tuck. Just the headlight harness on both sides and the wiper motor wires. Now all of a sudden I am geting no power to the inside of my hatch. I just did all my suspension work and clutch. I put the battery in about 2 hours ago and went to turn the key and nothing happened. No lights on the dash, no dome light, I tried to turn my headlights on and honk the horn and nothing. So far i have checked:

All terminals on both sides of the fuses in the under hood fuse box, all are getting power.

Brand new battery

Checked the valve cover, tranny, battery, and water neck ground all are good and tight.

Checked all connectors at the dashboard fuse box, all are plugged in.

I opened the ECU, i didnt see anything burnt and it didnt smell like there wa either.

I did seperate the connectors for the under hood fuse box and re-loom them seperately. This might be the issue but i have no idea. Like i said, power is getting from the battery, to the under hood fuse box and then it seems like it stops. When i turn the key absolutely nothing happends. Does anyone have any ideas on where i should start?

Also does anyone have a diagram or a picture on the connectors for the under hood fuse box? This way i can check and make sure i put the correct wires into the correct pins.

Do you have an email...I can email you the 92-95 civic manual. I don't know where to start on your problem but I can send that to you.
By bigJOE671
rustyrex wrote:I found a manual online. But yes please send me a copy of yours. Anything will help.

harleyreinke@gmail.com

Sorry I can't send any attachment over 25mb. You probably are looking at the same copy that i'm gonna show you.

So here's the link: http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

its the "Ab0VE Honda Civic 92-95 Service Manual zip 84.84 MB"
By rustyrex
#328040 Lol yeah same copy. Thanks though.
By rustyrex
#328049 Ok, I checked the underdash fuse box. I am getting zero power to it. All the fuses in there are good. So are all the fuses inside the engine bay. I even tried reversing the smaller wires on the underhood fuse box just to see if I had them backwards and still got nothing.
By rustyrex
#328090 It's was the ground for the battery. I made my own with Knukoncepts wire and there copper terminals. I guess it wasn't making good contact through the copper. As soon as I put the factory ground back on I heard my key reminder beeping.
By rustyrex
#328101 Well now i am fucking stumped worse then ever. I changed the battery ground and i heard the key beeper beeping, my dome light was on. I turned the key and heard the fuel pump prime. But, as soon as i turned the key to try and start the car i heard a pop almost like a fuse or something blowing and now i have no power on the inside again.

I rechecked:
every single fuse-all are good

every plug for both fuse boxes-all are pluged in all the way

the main relay-every circuit tected fine, i followed the haynes manual to test it

battery voltage is sitting at 12.6-12.8 its a brand new battery

i completely pulled out the interior fuse box and smelled it. it did not smell burnt.

i pulled apart the main relay it did not smell burnt and everything looked good

i pulled apart the integrated control unit on the back of the interior fuse box. it did not smell burnt and everything looked good

I am NOT getting any power to the black/yellow wire for the main PGM-FI relay. But, there are no blown fuses anywhere on the car.

I am not sure if there is a fuseable link somewhere on these cars, I cant find one.

PLEASE, PLEASE someone try to help.
By rustyrex
#328125 I got it running YAYAYAYAY. I checked for continuity between the battery negative and body and had nothing. so i checked for continuity between the negative post and the very tip of the ground cable for the battery and had nothing. so immediatly i knew something was wrong with the ground wire. i pulled it off of the battery and off of the body and received a shocked that made my left arm numb. i brushed it off and checked fo continuity within the battery ground cable from terminal post to ring terminal. I had continuity. so i reattached the cable to the shock tower and as soon as i touched the other end to the battery i saw my dome light come on. i got the car started and whipped around my block with no hood, fenders, or bumpers. it starts, runs, and barely stops i have to bleed the brakes still.

I contacted my engineering professor to see if my theory was correct and even possible. I washed my wool jacket last night and did not use fabric softemer in the washer or a dryer sheet. I was thinking that the shock i received was a static shock, kinda like rubbing you socks on the carpet and then touching someone. He said statis electricty can and will mess with computer and betteries. We did a experiment, I sat in the car just like i was earlier and moved around. As soon as i tried to start the car, the dash lit up and then I heard the same pop. So, i disconnected the ground wire from the body to let the static electricty zap me and the damn thing fired up.

Moral of the story always use fabric softener.
By brandoff88
#328148 :o :eh: wtf....all of your problems were caused by not using fabric softner...wish my issues were this easy to figure out :lol:
By rustyrex
#328151 That's the only thing my professor and I can figure out. I am gonna try it again tomorrow with my wool jacket and then with a hoody I just washed and used softener on.
By rustyrex
#328153 Your not the only one. I know static electricity can cause a lot of issues with electronics. But, I have never seen this.
By rustyrex
#328202 My professor came over today to test our hypothesis. It worked technically. We discovered i have either a loose wire inside the underhood fuse box or the battery ground is messed up in some fashion. When I moved around the interior with my wool coat on and tried to start the car it did lose all power just like yesterday. However, when I went to undo the ground cable all i did was thump the fuse box and the ground wire and it started working again. I think it is my ground wire. So, we felt kinda stupid. But, then again so did Newton at one point.