ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#325653 ok so i did some home work and found out why people disable their O2 sensor when they get a chipped ECU....

so my question is...should i disable it or not...im thinking i should keep it in ...but some people are saying to just disable it..but i live in new york and weather changes a lot here and from what i read an open loop (disabled O2) you have to "tweek" the tune every once in a while...but with closed loop (enabled O2) the car adapts itself...please help me lol

and here is the info of my setup if it helps any...im going with a B18B1 motor and i will be ordering a chip from http://www.phearable.net/ to chip my OBD1 P75 ECU and i will have a high compression ratio (not sure on what exactly yet)

i dont know anything about tuning cars so sorry if this is a noob question

once again and as always...any words of advice or criticism is more than welcome...thanks in advance :thumb:
By rustyrex
#325656 I would say no. You said yourself that you don't know about tuning a car. So everytime your tune needs adjusted you have to pay someone. And it is one more thing to go wrong

What is the benefit of not using a o2?
Do the pros over come the cons?
Do you have emission requirements in New York?
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
rustyrex wrote:I would say no. You said yourself that you don't know about tuning a car. So everytime your tune needs adjusted you have to pay someone. And it is one more thing to go wrong

What is the benefit of not using a o2?
Do the pros over come the cons?
Do you have emission requirements in New York?

-not sure on the benifit..thats y i asked.. :lol:
- in new york there are no emissions for 1995 and older vehicles...

thanks for the input rustyrex!!
By rustyrex
#325696 Damn 95 or older. I need to move to nee York. In Ohio a car has to be 25 years old before it doesn't need emissions
By EG Love
#325707 We have no emissions whatsoever :thumb:

I'm thinking keeping it would be a good idea but not an expert either
By brandoff88
#325712 you do know o2 sensors moniter the gasses coming from you engine and the temp they run, so that it can make air to fuel ratio adjustments via the computer....so if you disable it then you have nothing telling your ecu how good or bad your a/f mixture is and you can either lean it out and detonate the shit out of your motor or run to rich and ruin your catalytic converter...so if i was to guess...i would say dont disable it :thumb:

02 sensor - 50 bucks or so

new motor - (depending on what you have) 500-3500 bucks

new caty - 200 bucks or so...

with what i have learned from this site these are the things you wanna keep in mind, would it be worth it to possibly ruin a motor or other parts of the car just to delete a 50 dollar sensor?

im sure theres people who do it on monster builds but that requires PRECISE Tuning and engine management as well...just my .02 cents

EDIT: also i have a chipped p28 (rev limiter, etc)for my jdm d15b and i sitll run o2 sensor, never had an issue and dont forsee any at this point :thumb:
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
brandoff88 wrote:you do know o2 sensors moniter the gasses coming from you engine and the temp they run, so that it can make air to fuel ratio adjustments via the computer....so if you disable it then you have nothing telling your ecu how good or bad your a/f mixture is and you can either lean it out and detonate the shit out of your motor or run to rich and ruin your catalytic converter...so if i was to guess...i would say dont disable it :thumb:

02 sensor - 50 bucks or so

new motor - (depending on what you have) 500-3500 bucks

new caty - 200 bucks or so...

with what i have learned from this site these are the things you wanna keep in mind, would it be worth it to possibly ruin a motor or other parts of the car just to delete a 50 dollar sensor?

im sure theres people who do it on monster builds but that requires PRECISE Tuning and engine management as well...just my .02 cents

EDIT: also i have a chipped p28 (rev limiter, etc)for my jdm d15b and i sitll run o2 sensor, never had an issue and dont forsee any at this point :thumb:

now this is the answer i was looking for...thanks!!

i know the O2 sensor is to tell the ecu to adjust things and make your air/fuel ratio correct.....BUT...i was not sure if a chipped ECU has something in the place of an O2 sensor to adjust the air fuel ratio....thanks agin!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
By brandoff88
#325718 well most "chipped" ecu's are just other ecus that are chipable with a diefferent ecu's base map or tune on it, for example, my p28 obviously wont run the d15b vtec right without the p08 basemap at a minimum, but i also have a rev limiter and stuff, i dont think there are very many builds that would REQUIRE a disabled o2 but i could be wrong, better safe than sorry in my opinion lol, and your welcome, i try to be of help when i can :thumb:

EDIT: the only things i can think of would be like a stand alone fuel management system used on a monster turbo build or high cp n/a build where the stock fuel maps are useless, then you get into tuning which is very spendy but if you make a build like that im assuming you got the dough for tuning lol