ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By blk92hb
#321389 i need some help. my dash light dim or dont come on by them selfs. ive checked the wiring and cant find a short. i got two videos both of them are me parked with the parking lights on, and the motor not running

this one is with the key on and not touching anything.

and this one i got the key off and you can here me turning the headlights on then back to parking light again not touching anything

this does this also when im driving. sometimes it wont do it, sometimes it will, sometimes it comes on then fades off and other times it wont come on then fade in like in the videos.

also i have oem bulbs without the blue rubber covers, and oem fog lights with oem wiring harness. i also went and checked it for a short.
By cruzan
#321390 chech your dim switch mine does that they turn on and then they turn off i hit or move up and down my dim and it turn right on or check your fuse under ur dash. The easy way to do this is turn ur lights on and see if u back lights are on.
By blk92hb
#321412 I already replaced the dimmer switch thinking that was the problem, and all the other lights work but the dash lights.
By teal_dx
#321416 Did it just start doing this when you installed the fogs? Or was there anything else you did to the car around the time when this started? It definitely looks like a wiring problem.
By Apexracing
#321438 Fuse? Replace bulbs? I've heard of aftermarket kits burning out clusters on ep3's. Bad wiring and faulty relays are usually the culprit.
By blk92hb
#321444 The fog light wiring is all oem and last time I touched them was march of 2011. Yesterday I redid the fog light wiring because of the dash lights coming on and off but all I did was unplug the harness and solder the power wire up instead of the bs wire clamps that you have to smash. my dash light problem happened last week and i redid the wiring because i lost the power to the fog lights too

I'll check the fuses when I get back to work, but I would think that even with the lights working the fuses would be fine.
By Apexracing
#321448 Well now that i know its oem i would check the fuses then check the grounds.
By Apexracing
#321459 Hey just a thought clean or replace the headlight switch
By blk92hb
Apexracing wrote:Hey just a thought clean or replace the headlight switch
im going to try that, but i dont think its the switch because ill play with it and it wont do anything

checked the fuses and they are good. i got a 40 amp light fuse im going to replace because it looks kinda funky. the lights didnt come on when i was leaving work but they came on about 1/4 mile down the road and stayed on the rest of the night, i even stoped at 4 places and it didnt go off.
By 93sihatchguy
#322114 I'm having the same issue with mine. My cluster lights will come on and go off at random. If I push hard on the dimmer switch, the lights flicker on and off. This was my replacement for my original dimmer switch as well.... Can it be taken apart and cleaned for better continuity?
By blk92hb
93sihatchguy wrote:I'm having the same issue with mine. My cluster lights will come on and go off at random. If I push hard on the dimmer switch, the lights flicker on and off. This was my replacement for my original dimmer switch as well.... Can it be taken apart and cleaned for better continuity?

i already replaced the dimmer switch, because i thought that was the problem. it kinda seems like once the lights warm up they stay on.

i havent done anything on the car yet been busy with work and my daughters bday party, but i am going to replace the light 40amp fuse and clean the switch.

i kinda dont think its the fuse because its the big one for all of the lights, but im going to replace it because it kinda looks burned.
By blk92hb
#322708 ok so i replaced the dimmer switch, 40 amp fuse under the hood, cleaned the light switch, and checked the dash light fuse under the dash and i now have no dash lights.

so right now im at a loss :thumbdown:
By Delkden
cruzan wrote:chech your dim switch mine does that they turn on and then they turn off i hit or move up and down my led bulbs dim and it turn right on or check your fuse under ur dash. The easy way to do this is turn ur lights on and see if u back lights are on.

Have you checked your battery connections with switch?
By suspendedHatch
#322795 Did you check the under dash fuses as well? That's where your dash fuses are - not under the hood.

You don't "check" something by replacing it. How do you know the replacement isn't also bad? You can verify a faulty dimmer by bypassing it. The dimmer wires are black, red, and red/black. Red/black is parking light power, black is ground, and red is a variable ground. Basically supplying a weaker ground to dim the lights. Unplug the dimmer knob and take a small piece of wire and jumper the red to the black.

DON'T jumper the red/black or you will blow the parking light fuse.