ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By necropaulis
#310553 I've got a ZC SOHC which had a leaking distributor-car ran great beforehand, just a leaky distributor. Bought a new one, and at first it wouldn't start. Got it to start and it ran like crap-no CELs-. Figuring it was bad, I took it out, and swapped the old one in and it still runs like crap. It feels like it's missing, but all of the wires are connected properly. Any ideas :?
By teal_dx
#310554 I'd check firing order once more or you may have damaged one of the plug Wires when pulling it off. Once it is running smooth, youll want to check the ignition timing with a timing gun. Also did you re use your old cap and rotor or a new one? Was the dizzy new or used?
By necropaulis
#310555 The dizzy I bought was new as was the cap and rotor. It's hard to explain, but it seems as though It's running right, but with a rough idle. The tach stays where it should be, but once you give it gas, it really starts breaking up
By necropaulis
#310570 Not even a week. It was all part of one big tuneup, the dizzy was done after everything else was done

After coming home, I started it up. It's running at 1200ish rpm and a good (as in pretty strong) raw gas smell coming out of it, along with the helicopter stuck in the engine sound, so it's time to blow the dust off the gun!!

One more question, does anyone know why my timing would be so jacked if the dizzy only fits one way?? I've swapped them on other cars and never had this kind of a problem.
By TrailerTrash
#310573 i had the same problem doing my tuneup. turned out to be mixed up plug wires on the cap that i was sure werent mixed up... wasnt till the 3rd time i rechecked them i realized i fudged up
By teal_dx
#310577 The dizzy should only fit one way. The 'notch' on the cam that the key fits into is offset on our motors, so you can't put it on and have the timing be 180° off.

I'm w/ Trailer, check your plug wires again and again for good measure.
I did the same thing with checking them twice and then thinking the timing belt was off by a tooth until I looked at the wires a third time. Mark each one with a piece of tape and write 1,2,3,4 on the ends if you need to. :thumb:
By necropaulis
#310626 I'm an idiot.....
took all the wires off, put them back on one by one, and yes, they were crossed. Thanks guys :thumb:
By teal_dx
necropaulis wrote:I'm an idiot.....
took all the wires off, put them back on one by one, and yes, they were crossed. Thanks guys :thumb:

haha no prob... We've all been there :thumb: