ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By EGCiviCKid
#309668 i have a b16a2 engine from an EK4 and what i believe is the original loom..
i bought an IAT sensor as original was missing..
however what i thought was the IAT plug doesn't fit...its round and the sensor is rectangle??
check out the pics below
do i have the wrong plug on the harness??
or is the sensor wrong?
... Help! :shock:

By teal_dx
#309674 That isn't the same sensor that I have seen on our cars. Looks like they gave you one from the obd 2 car, which was originally mounted on the intake tube. Obd 1 iat sensor is white and mounted on the lower back of the intake manifold. The harness plug in the pic is obd1. Either cut and replace the plug with an obd2 one or get the obd1 sensor.
By teal_dx
#309675 Wait... Looking at the pic, I don't think that harness plug could reach to the lower back of the intake manifold. So your harness must be obd2. Not sure why that plug is round like the obd 1 I have seen, instead of square though...
By suspendedHatch
#309682 I can send you the correct IAT but you gotta get me something in return. The top of my charcoal canister snapped off inside the hose and none of the yards near me have had any. It's a 94-97 Integra and the charcoal canister is the plastic cylinder to the right and down below the battery. You can carefully pry the little cap off the top and send it to me in a padded envelope and I'll do the same with your IAT. Civic canister outlets are too small btw.

Haha. Saw that and knew I had two of them in the garage.
By EGCiviCKid
suspendedHatch wrote:I can send you the correct IAT but you gotta get me something in return. The top of my charcoal canister snapped off inside the hose and none of the yards near me have had any. It's a 94-97 Integra and the charcoal canister is the plastic cylinder to the right and down below the battery. You can carefully pry the little cap off the top and send it to me in a padded envelope and I'll do the same with your IAT. Civic canister outlets are too small btw.

Haha. Saw that and knew I had two of them in the garage.

ill see what i can do for you buddy!... i guess thats the correct sensor on the right then?
By suspendedHatch
#309782 Ah... you're in the UK. I'm in the US. Is that going to be a problem?

This is the IAT that will fit that plug. If you don't have the port on the manifold (you'd notice a serious vacuum leak if you did), then you can drill a hole in your intake tube and mount the sensor with two zip ties. In the meantime you can dangle it in your engine bay.
By EGCiviCKid
suspendedHatch wrote:Ah... you're in the UK. I'm in the US. Is that going to be a problem?

ah yer forgot bout that.... ill still keep a lookout for one mate :thumb:
i did find an IAT sensor in my old D15b2s throttle body which looks exactly the same as the white one.... fits the plug... can i use that?

i also found another free plug on the harness which is near the other end of the throttle body... this also has the same round plug?
so bit unsure of wot is wot? :?

the one in the picture is:
1 red wire
1 yellow/black

and the other:
1 wire black
1 wire red/blue
By teal_dx
#309856 If you run the car, what CELs do you get? One iat and the other cel should tell you what the other plug is for, unless it is a leftover obd2 plug you don't need.
By suspendedHatch
i did find an IAT sensor in my old D15b2s throttle body which looks exactly the same as the white one.... fits the plug... can i use that?

Yep. They all read the same.
By suspendedHatch
#310303 Yeah in the intake pipe. No reason to attempt putting a hole in the throttle body.

The IAT is absolutely necessary to calculate air density on MAP based systems, however, Honda sensors are very sluggish to react to changes in temperature and the ECU is tuned to react very conservatively relying more heavily on the O2 sensor instead. Ideally you would want to measure the incoming air as close to the intake valve as possible without having the sensor suffer heat soak, but given these facts you might as well just put it in the intake tube. Honda started putting them there in later models anyway.
Last edited by suspendedHatch on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By bigpunn421
#310315 to me that original pic by op looks like the map sensor plug and tps plug.

every b series i worked on has the iat to the right on the inatke mani