ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By EGCiviCKid
#310538 AHH i see.. its a good thing i got the wrong harnees because an ek4 obd2 harness wouldnt work with my SIR cabin loom... i need a OBD1 engine harness? is this correct? if so im hoping the one i have is ok to use!!?
By teal_dx
#310652 Yes, OBD1 EG harness will work. OBD2 EK's are a different fit.

You'll need to modify the injector clips and dizzy harness and alternator plug on the OBD1 harness to fit OBD2 motor.

They make conversion harness adapters for the dizzy and alternator. Check http://www.rywire.com :thumb:

You can either splice OBD2 injector clips in if you want to use OBD2 injectors or use OBD1 injectors and call it a day.

You could also use an OBD1 dizzy and OBD1 alternator too, if you don't want to mess with re-wiring.
(this is all assuming you're dropping the OBD2 motor in your car.)
By EGCiviCKid
#310659 The harness that came with the motor fits all the plugs on the engine im guessin this is obd2 harness? And I use it for its plugs?
Would a z6 harness be my best option?
Do you think it would be a good idea to find out what the harness actually is first? Because if it is an obd1 harness with plugs that fit im guessing there is no problem at all?
Or is it just simply an obd2 harness which is only good for plugs?
Cheers buddy
By teal_dx
EGCiviCKid wrote:The harness that came with the motor fits all the plugs on the engine im guessin this is obd2 harness? And I use it for its plugs?
Would a z6 harness be my best option?
Do you think it would be a good idea to find out what the harness actually is first? Because if it is an obd1 harness with plugs that fit im guessing there is no problem at all?
Or is it just simply an obd2 harness which is only good for plugs?
Cheers buddy

The problem is that it doesn't fit your car right? If so, that is because it is an OBD2 harness from an EK. However it fits your motor which is OBD2. So you can cut & splice all of the plugs over to the OBD1 harness. Only attempt if you are good with wiring and reading wire diagrams to figure out what colors to cut & solder back together. Or just buy the conversion plugs mentioned above.
A d16z6 harness would fit your car, as it is OBD1. Any obd1 harness will fit, but D16z6 will have the vtec solenoid and oil pressure plugs/wires already built into the harness to save you an extra step.
Be sure that the d16z6 harness has the map sensor on the same place that your car/motor has it (firewall OR throttle body)

Easiest thing to do - sell the OBD2 harness. With the $ you make from that, get online and buy the conversion plug harnesses for the alternator and dizzy. Then either use OBD1 injectors or modify the obd1 injector clips to fit your OBD2 injectors. (I heard you can file a certain tab down on the plug clip and it will slide right on to the injector.) or cut out and solder in a set of OBD2 injector clips :thumb:
By EGCiviCKid
#310773 The problem basically is every thing conects up ok interior harness to engine harness and engine harness fits all sensors on engine..except two one must be the iat but I dont know which one cuz I have no idea what harness I have so I cant check the wire.colours with anything.... I assumed it was ok to use as it plugs into my shock towers.. I then started to doubt when I found out it cant be an obd1 because it has original obd2 plugs for alternator etc .. please tell me were im goin wrong :cry:
By teal_dx
#310786 First I'd figure out what harness you
Have. Check wiring diagrams in manuals, compare to another car. Where did you get the harness from? Would they know? It sounds like it is obd2 for sure. Can you get some better pics Of the harness and maybe start a thread called "helpe Id this harness"
By EGCiviCKid
#310802 The harness come with the engine bundle..and cant get hold of the matey who sold it to me.
Ill take the harness of the engine 2day and do just as you said thanks :thumb: