ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By TattooedFish
#307918 I was driving today and ive been having trouble out of my speedo not working, it comes and goes.

Anyway out of frustration I slapped the bottom of the steering column near the ignition. My check engine lights went off all sensors pretty much shut off. I tried to give my car gas but it was like a limiter had been turned on.

I tried to drive the car and for a second it seemed like the engine was off but i could still hear it running at the rpm I was in.

Then i slapped the bottom of the dash again and everything went back to normal.

Well except for my speedo still not working, so until someone can provide me suggestions temporary solution is to not do that again lol..
By EJ1_MK
#307919 You speedo is either the cluster> there is a cold solder joint on the back that breaks and will cause this problem. Pretty common.

As far as you hitting up under the dash where did you hit exactly? You might have hit the main fuse? you have to be very careful around those I have seen them go out randomly. But if you hit around the ignition switch your connection might be loose under there.
By FG2_Andrew
EJ1_MK wrote:You speedo is either the cluster> there is a cold solder joint on the back that breaks and will cause this problem. Pretty common.

As far as you hitting up under the dash where did you hit exactly? You might have hit the main fuse? you have to be very careful around those I have seen them go out randomly. But if you hit around the ignition switch your connection might be loose under there.

that!
By teal_dx
EJ1_MK wrote:You speedo is either the cluster> there is a cold solder joint on the back that breaks and will cause this problem. Pretty common.

Hey, in what area on the cluster is that solder joint located? My cluster recently started cutting out and I think that may be the issue since the wiring looked OK. :thumb:
By EJ1_MK
teal_dx wrote:

Hey, in what area on the cluster is that solder joint located? My cluster recently started cutting out and I think that may be the issue since the wiring looked OK. :thumb:

Should be directly on the back you will see where it is broken. that is what happened to mine and I replaced the VIS and didn't change anything and talk to a honda tech here in my town and he told me to pull the cluster and sure enough there was the problem.
By TrailerTrash
TattooedFish wrote:I was driving today and ive been having trouble out of my speedo not working, it comes and goes.

Anyway out of frustration I slapped the bottom of the steering column near the ignition. My check engine lights went off all sensors pretty much shut off. I tried to give my car gas but it was like a limiter had been turned on.

I tried to drive the car and for a second it seemed like the engine was off but i could still hear it running at the rpm I was in.

Then i slapped the bottom of the dash again and everything went back to normal.

Well except for my speedo still not working, so until someone can provide me suggestions temporary solution is to not do that again lol..

thats a weird one... ive had this exact same thing happen to me twice. i was driving down the highway and my tach, speedo, gas, and temp gauges just shut off and my dash clock went out... car was still running. difference is i knew what the problem was as soon as it happened. the plastic part of the alternator plug is broken and once in a great while it will vibrate loose and the guages die all at once.

thats what i thought was your issue at first.... but now im thinking maybe its the cluster as said above. maybe someone dicked with it in the past and screwed it up or didnt put it back in correctly
By TattooedFish
#307979 My car has electrical gremlins for sure wish some of you guys lived near me lol come help sort out the mess.

All i know is it happend right as I slapped it. It was right under the steering wheel where I slapped it at and everything shut off except for engine when applying gas it just ignored my input. I just listened to it for about 5 seconds thought thats odd tried another slap and everything went back to working except for the speedo. Has not started back since but car is still driveable at this point.

I am swapping my steering column out in a few days for one that has tilt on it and will be pulling out ignition stuff so I will check for shorts then and see if I find anything.

I got another speedo I can swap out to see if that fixes I just really don't want to loose my mileage, my speedo has 97k on it and the new one has 200k,