ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By simple*eg
#303454 I recently picked up a p28 mugen chip. Any info? I searched google, no pricing rages at all or anything. Got it out of an ecu i bought and im not sure if itll mess up my car so im a lil sketchy on putting it in. Can post pics if needed. Says itll boost hp by 7-18?? Any info or links would help tremendously. Thanks.
By dbrooks
#303457 I honestly don't think Mugen made a chip. I looked it up on google and everyone says it's some eBay crap, but who knows :?
By chrono404
dbrooks wrote:I honestly don't think Mugen made a chip. I looked it up on google and everyone says it's some eBay crap, but who knows :?

x2

Any "Mugen" or "skunk2" or similar branded chip from ebay is going to be crap.

An engine tune is meant for a specific engine. Even if the chip is made by "mugen" or "skunk2" which is very unlikely, that tune would only be good for the engine they tuned it for. Say for example they made a b16 with XXX pistons and YYY Cams with ZZZ Injectors at such and such fuel pressure. The tun is only good for that set up, Even then if you have a duplicate build, its still better having your engine tuned as every engine is different even though they come from the same parts. Any competent tuner will let you know that.

Running a tune not made for your engine can only do harm, Possible side effects are leaning out the engine and melting pistons, advancing timing way to much and not having the octane to support it, having to much fuel and washing the clinder walls and causing your engine to wear out much much much faster. No oil on walls means fiction, unneeded fictions will wear out the engine much faster.

The only way i can think of making an engine faster with out doing any mechanical things to it are to increase timing, and lean out your engine. Its possible you will be faster for a short period of time until you need to replace your engine. A good friend of mine got a "performance basemap" at a sketchy shop, I recommended agiesnt it, after bottom end number 5 we put in a stock p28 and the 6th engine never went out on him, while the prevous ones lasted maybe a month before they where knocking.

GL on whatever you do, However if you put it in, dont be surprised when, not if your replacing your engine in a few months time.
By simple*eg
chrono404 wrote:
dbrooks wrote:I honestly don't think Mugen made a chip. I looked it up on google and everyone says it's some eBay crap, but who knows :?

x2

Any "Mugen" or "skunk2" or similar branded chip from ebay is going to be crap.

An engine tune is meant for a specific engine. Even if the chip is made by "mugen" or "skunk2" which is very unlikely, that tune would only be good for the engine they tuned it for. Say for example they made a b16 with XXX pistons and YYY Cams with ZZZ Injectors at such and such fuel pressure. The tun is only good for that set up, Even then if you have a duplicate build, its still better having your engine tuned as every engine is different even though they come from the same parts. Any competent tuner will let you know that.

Running a tune not made for your engine can only do harm, Possible side effects are leaning out the engine and melting pistons, advancing timing way to much and not having the octane to support it, having to much fuel and washing the clinder walls and causing your engine to wear out much much much faster. No oil on walls means fiction, unneeded fictions will wear out the engine much faster.

The only way i can think of making an engine faster with out doing any mechanical things to it are to increase timing, and lean out your engine. Its possible you will be faster for a short period of time until you need to replace your engine. A good friend of mine got a "performance basemap" at a sketchy shop, I recommended agiesnt it, after bottom end number 5 we put in a stock p28 and the 6th engine never went out on him, while the prevous ones lasted maybe a month before they where knocking.

GL on whatever you do, However if you put it in, dont be surprised when, not if your replacing your engine in a few months time.

Thanks a lot. This really helped. And thanks to you too. dbrooks. :thumb:
By FG2_Andrew
#303500 ECU/chips don't really increase HP IIRC, they just allow you to unlock your motors true potential. and if you have a stock motor, with stock internals, etc. there's really no need for a chip..

maybe someone can correct me on this? :?

regardless, http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1759905

"Last I checked, Mugen never sold ECU chips. Many people "clone" these programs. Who knows what is on that chip." - Dogginator, from Honda-Tech
By chrono404
EH2_andy wrote:ECU/chips don't really increase HP IIRC, they just allow you to unlock your motors true potential. and if you have a stock motor, with stock internals, etc. there's really no need for a chip..

maybe someone can correct me on this? :?

regardless, http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1759905

"Last I checked, Mugen never sold ECU chips. Many people "clone" these programs. Who knows what is on that chip." - Dogginator, from Honda-Tech

ECU Tuning will change things like fuel timing, ignition times, spark advance, etc. all which result in your engine making power while being efficient.

With OBD-1 you can get away with putting on an Intake, headers and exhaust maybe even an better flowing intake manifold and not need a retune. However when you change your cam with a cam that has longer duration or higher compression pistons, or you now have positive pressure in your intake you will need a Re-Tune or you will damage your engine.

That said you either need to know what your doing when you tune your ecu, or go to someone that does. As mentioned above when done wrong it will only cause harm.

You can make more power then stock just tuning your ecu, However the only way to do so is lean it out and advance spark, If you go to far or its unusually hot out or whatever you could very well loose your engine. If that 5-10hp gain is worth that much for you then Get your engine tuned professionally which wont be cheap or look up on pgmfi forums on how to tune your honda obd1 ecu using crome for free. You will need to buy some tools but you can retune your car as much as you want.

The "mugen" and "skunk2" chips are unknown code that I wouldn't risks anyone's engine with.
By FG2_Andrew
#303575 Thank you very much for the info!