ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By bradleyg
#300034 I got in my car after school today and started it to find it doing this.
First time this has happened to me.
What could it be?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3GDt6V5ms0&context=C49e8ed5ADvjVQa1PpcFOBPXnvOgYvCblmpyp54tTIVcGUh6Zljcc=

And then on my way home it was driving fun but all of a sudden it sputtered at about 4k rpm like it was going to die.

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by bradleyg on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TrailerTrash
#300095 wtf :headscratch:

something could have gone wrong with your cluster/wirring
By bradleyg
TrailerTrash wrote:wtf :headscratch:

something could have gone wrong with your cluster/wirring

I don't think it's the cluster, it worked normally before and there hasn't been any modification lately.

I think it may have something to do with my ecu. The guy that had it before had chipped it with hondata s300. I don't know all what is changed but there is a 2-step/launch control.

My reason to think its the ecu is because just right now driving home everything was smooth until about 4300rpm, approximately where the 2-step is set. once it hit 4300rpm it would stop and just bounce there.
By Classiccarsrule85
#300133 yea it wouldnt hurt to throw in a non chipped ecu in and see how that goes as it could be wiring ecu cluster speedo or the vss but if someone who thought they knew what they were doing put a s300 in then id say it might very well be that....
By bradleyg
#300139 Well now the speedo completely stopped working and it just stays at 0 now.

And after that problem mentioned above, the CEL came on. The funny thing is that after the CEL came on the car ran normal, except now there is no VTEC! :x

This is confusing me so much, it's got to be something electrical. Or possibly the fuel pump, but I don't think so. The only reason I think it could be the fuel pump is when cruising at about 3k rpm the car would slowly slow down as though I'm not giving it gas and then if I shifted or stepped in the gas harder it would lag for about 2-3 seconds and then all of a sudden jerk and start pulling all hard.

This is so confusing :?

And thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. It seems that this section doesn't get very much attention though haha.
By JUICE
#300194 vtec requires a working speedo.

what CEL code is it throwing??

check your connections to your VSS, cluster, and ECU before buying anything. i'm thinking its probably the ECU..
By bradleyg
JUICE wrote:vtec requires a working speedo.

what CEL code is it throwing??

check your connections to your VSS, cluster, and ECU before buying anything. i'm thinking its probably the ECU..

Thanks alot :thumb: I didn't know that your speedo had to work for it to engage VTEC.

I'll have to get back to you on the code, I haven't checked it out.
I just unplugged the vss and plugged it back in so I'll see if that did anything.
By SkunkDcivic
#300217 check your speedo i had this happen to my hatch i got water on it cuzz it was not coverd and it was acting all kinds of stupid dried cverd it never had a problem
By bradleyg
#300258 Well I checked the code from the cel and it ended up giving me a 17. From what I've read a 17 is in fact the vss. Should I go about fixing that first?
By bradleyg
#300293 Thanks, I was reading up on the VSS's and I just have to make sure that the little gear on it is the same or swap out my old one right?

And is it typical for the car to act really funny when the VSS goes out?

And hopefully I find one today, because last time I went to my local junkyard they didn't have a single civic or integra :x I don't want to buy a brand new one for like $160 either haha
By JUICE
#300329 here's the cheapest on ebay.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-93-HONDA-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-VEHICLE-SPEED-SENSOR-VSS-/330349831655?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cea6265e7&vxp=mtr

i got mine from ebay for like $20 a couple years ago and haven't had any problems from it.. just search "civic vss" on there and pick one