ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By FG2_Andrew
#293555 i recently dropped a JDM D15B in my '93 CX. it's running on the original P09. i've got to get a vtec ECU obviously.. but i need some help with where/how/best options to optimize performance for my motor.

SPEC LIST:

JDM D15B w/ stock internals
D16Z6 Intake manifold
D16Z6 Throttle body
OEM airbox with K&N filter
original '93 CX trans
full ebay exhaust with test pipe

i saw a few "tuners" on ebay with good rep. and i wasn't sure what a safe, but higher Rev Limiter or Vtec engagement would be on stock internals. will be chipped for a P08 basemap.

eventually the motor will have a mild build with better internals but that's irrelevant right now :thumb:

comments are much appreciated!
By Eg6H2D
EH2_andy wrote:i recently dropped a JDM D15B in my '93 CX. it's running on the original P09. i've got to get a vtec ECU obviously.. but i need some help with where/how/best options to optimize performance for my motor.

SPEC LIST:

JDM D15B w/ stock internals
D16Z6 Intake manifold
D16Z6 Throttle body
OEM airbox with K&N filter
original '93 CX trans
full ebay exhaust with test pipe

i saw a few "tuners" on ebay with good rep. and i wasn't sure what a safe, but higher Rev Limiter or Vtec engagement would be on stock internals. will be chipped for a P08 basemap.

eventually the motor will have a mild build with better internals but that's irrelevant right now :thumb:

comments are much appreciated!

Let me tell you this .. source yourself another trans! That CX is going to have the engine run slowwwwwwww...

Stock for Stock. factory p28 would do you fine, but you can also get a chipped ecu off ebay which most likely be a P06 converted to Vtec! . Rev limiter shold be 7200. have them put the D15b map on it.. 7200 is stock on a d15b and d16z6. stock internally it wont make more power there after.

Vtec you should have about 4600-5000. it will make it a little better.

Good luck!
:thumb:
By FG2_Andrew
#293586 not worried about the trans at all actually. really just looking for MPG right now until i can get another vehicle to DD. but thanks!
By eg84dr
#293596 i ran my d15b on a p28 as long as i owned it and it ran great
with a cx trans you should be able to get 40+ mpgs i got 43 with mine one time but i also had zero emissions
By FG2_Andrew
#293604 awesome. i just got my hatch on the road. a few small kinks to work out.. currently running a p06 as of today. seems to be ok, but i think i'll still opt for a chipped/tunable ecu :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#294028 The original intake manifold is better for this engine than the Z6. It's identical to the Y8 manifold except for the addition of EGR. The original throttle body is the same diameter as the Z6. Not sure why you swapped these.

OBD2 D series combustion chamber is a better design than OBD1. The engine will run okay, but the ignition maps are far from optimal. The OBD2 D series requires much less ignition timing advance. Start with a Y7 or Y8 basemap and definitely not a Z6 or B7.

How are you triggering the 2 VTEC solenoids?

How your D15B ran on a P28 really doesn't apply. First of all, which D15B was it?!

Was the ebay tuner comment a joke?
By eg84dr
#294068 i had an obd1 jdm d15b
i assumed thats the one he was talking about
if he is talking about an obd2 d15b then i know nothing and ill let suspendedhatch take over :thumb:
By FG2_Andrew
#294073 it's OBD1. i swapped the intake mani because the one on the d15b had a crack. no biggie.. it's just a DD.