ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By bks84
#292783 pull the plug, check the connectors inside it.
By turbosedan717
#292786 the metal tabs inside the connectors do have power but for some reason its not lighting up.
By drivehrideh
#292805 i would go back through the wires and see what all same color wires you have and start traceing and doing checks on them all
By turbosedan717
#292897 okay so small progress, i got all the lights working properly! :woot2: so thats one thing down. today i'm doin some voltage drops with my dmm to test if all my sensors and whatnot are working. hopefully i find some problems!
By turbosedan717
#293002 okay so now some not so good news. after i was testing my p/s harness i turned the key just to the on position! and BOOM a loud backfire and smoked poured out of my intake. i'm not sure what this means but i didn't assume it was good and then when i cranked it, it didn't pop or sputter anymore. since the DOHC engine is an interference engine maybe i could have dropped a valve or screwed the head if my timing was off?... :death:
By Apexracing
turbosedan717 wrote:okay so now some not so good news. after i was testing my p/s harness i turned the key just to the on position! and BOOM a loud backfire and smoked poured out of my intake. i'm not sure what this means but i didn't assume it was good and then when i cranked it, it didn't pop or sputter anymore. since the DOHC engine is an interference engine maybe i could have dropped a valve or screwed the head if my timing was off?... :death:

pull the plugs and check the cylinders for parts. i'm not sure how you got ignition when the car wasnt cranking, But it sounds like you had unburnt fuel in the chambers from previous starting attempts and something set it off.
By bks84
turbosedan717 wrote:okay so small progress, i got all the lights working properly! :woot2: so thats one thing down. today i'm doin some voltage drops with my dmm to test if all my sensors and whatnot are working. hopefully i find some problems!

So what did you find to be the problem?

As far as the "dropped valve" comment, check mechanical timing via the belt and markings before assuming it was out of time. It would have to be out by quite a bit before it caused any damage, especially since hte car apparently hasnt ran in how long?

Anyway, pull the valve cover and check to see if everything lines up @ TDC. And go from there. If it checks out good, do a leak down/compression test.
Last edited by bks84 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By eg-guy
#293044 That could still be the wrong order. I had this problem not to long ago, having the wires in the wrong order. I used the diagram for the d15b7 and it was wrong for my car, my # 1 was where two on the diagram was supposed to be.

EDIT: it's back firing out of your intake because your plugs wires are most likely WRONG.

put your number one cylinder at top dead center, remove your distruibuter cap and see where the rotor is pointing. If you've located TDC on the #1 cylinder correctly, you'll be able to tell for sure if the plug wires are right or wrong.
By turbosedan717
#293046 well the headlights did just turn out to be the bulbs, switched out the aftermarket ones for my stock ones and yahtzee i have lights. but last time the engine did run the timing was off and it loped like crazy and just shut off thats why i feared the worst. but for the wrong firing order although unlikely i guess its still possible. i'll try reseting everything to TDC and see what happens. yesterday tho i was doing voltage drops on my engine harness and i had a 5 volt reference for my tps but my map wasn't getting any readings. i hooked my laptop up to the ecu and datalogged to look for any strange readings but map sensor and everything seemed fine.
By drivehrideh
eg-guy wrote:That could still be the wrong order. I had this problem not to long ago, having the wires in the wrong order. I used the diagram for the d15b7 and it was wrong for my car, my # 1 was where two on the diagram was supposed to be.

EDIT: it's back firing out of your intake because your plugs wires are most likely WRONG.

put your number one cylinder at top dead center, remove your distruibuter cap and see where the rotor is pointing. If you've located TDC on the #1 cylinder correctly, you'll be able to tell for sure if the plug wires are right or wrong.

i am going with eg-guy defently still sounding like firing order issues if your firing order is right then your distribtor is wrong
By turbosedan717
#293322 okay so little updates, there was a brown wire that was factory spliced into my main wires for my distributor that had a smalll gash in it with corrosion inside so i cut that out and resoldered it. now this seems like it could be a pretty serious problem other than it was a very small gash so i'll see if that does anything. and also can anyone elaborate how the gsr map sensor is wired up to a 92 shell that came with a firewall mounted map? my engine harness has a map sensor but yet my actual wires from the ecu for the map sensor are going to the empty plug for the factory one! and whenever i was testing my map sensor with everthing hooked up i couldn't get any voltage at the sensor in the engine harness.
By turbosedan717
#293945 so i got the wiring for the map figured out now but still not starting. can anyone hook me up with a vacuum diagram for how the lines should be ran without a charcoal canister? i have pcv hooked to IM, FPR hooked to IM but idk where the lines for the map and that little tab on the back of the IM go.
By bks84
#293962 you can tee the FPR and run the line to your MAP.
By Ajax1989
#293992 just "T" into one of your vaccum lines
By turbosedan717
#294611 okay so i've got the right plug in the map sensor i have the vacuum line for the map t'd into the FPR line. but this made no effect on the starting :thumbdown: