ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By HatchbackCrusader
#282149 Ok so Iv'e been researching and googling heavy and came to the conclusion that I want to chip my P28 to a P08 (For my D15b). But I still don't fully understand the process and can't find a direct explanation anywhere. I know a chip is soldered into the ecu, but what exactly is the "basemap?" And I've also come across all kinds of converter kits, usb software kits, vtec kits, etc. Im just looking for a general explanation thats all. And suggestions from you guys too. Thanks.
By TrailerTrash
#282178 i dont think u can "chip" a p28 into a p08.... dont think it works like that exaclty.
By JUICE
#282185 you can run a D15b VTEC as-is with a P28. you can chip any OBD1 ECU to run whatever basemap you want to. im sure there a shops local to you that will chip your ECU with whatever basemap you want for around $100
By HatchbackCrusader
#282188 Well yeah my car is running with my P28 but some people say the P28 air/fuel ratio is slightly different than the P08, so it causes it to run rich. Thoughts?
By TrailerTrash
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Well yeah my car is running with my P28 but some people say the P28 air/fuel ratio is slightly different than the P08, so it causes it to run rich. Thoughts?

ive always wondered about this too. Im running my JDM d15b with a p28 and it runs fine but I know the correct ecu is a p08. what kinda bennefits would a p08 actually have?
By HatchbackCrusader
#282221 Hmmm...Im not too sure. Im not really into performance (yet). Its my daily so for now I just want it fully restored, bone stock. I had a friend just tell me he can find a P08 and trade for my P28. Once I get it (or get the P08 basemap) Ill let you guys know any differences.
By 94 lang lang
#289590 Please do im running the same set up as you guys (D15B Vtec with a P28 ecu) i got a ecu from HAmotorsports with the p08 basemap i just havent gotten it tuned. im confused on what all goes in to the tuning process. anyone feel free to explain. thank you so much
By teal_dx
94 lang lang wrote:Please do im running the same set up as you guys (D15B Vtec with a P28 ecu) i got a ecu from HAmotorsports with the p08 basemap i just havent gotten it tuned. im confused on what all goes in to the tuning process. anyone feel free to explain. thank you so much

You get the ecu chipped and then hook up a laptop with tuning software via USB.
Then download a base map (same program as a stock ecu for your motor) and start tuning air fuel ratios from there.
By 94 lang lang
#289623 all i have is a short ram intake and a 4-1 DC header. would that make the ecu not run right? because when i plug it in it will run perfect right up untill vtec then it just falls on its face :?