ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By neo27ny
#272366 I have a couple sensors that aren't plugged in. I'm having trouble finding the plugs for them on the harness any help appreciated. One looks like the thermostat housing and the other is right above it below the hose that comes out of the valve cover. The last pic shows where both sensors are located in relation to eachother. I'm gonna go dig around some more for the plugs. Thanks

By neo27ny
#272368 I had a suspicion to check my engine code. All the D15B7's I've seen had the plug wires on the back side of the valve cover. Since I've looked up what engine was supposed to be in it I assumed I had the B7 without verifying. Found out I have a D15Z1, this engine is vtec right? That top sensor is the vtec solenoid? Other than that I am still missing the thermostat housing plug, does this engine or the B7 not have one cause I am not finding the plug. As for the vtec, is it ok to run this engine without vtec or would I get better performance/fuel mileage hooking up the vtec? This model seems to come out of the CX and VX. Hmm.....

*edit* I have a P06 ecu, this is not for the Z1 correct?
By teal_dx
#272380 If your car originally had a D15b7 and that is the D15b7 harness, then there are no plugs for vtec. That plug coming off your head is the vtec solenoid. The D15b7 harness won't have a plug for it. It also won't have a plug for the oil pressure sensor on the vtec solenoid, which is the lower plug that you have the green & black wired sensor going to. Maybe that is actually the plug that goes to your Temp sensor (the one on the thermostat).

And the D15z1 motor is the vtec-e motor from the Civic VX. It can achieve high 40's MPG by using lean burn mode. It's different from your traditional vtec. It is optimized for efficiency rather then performance.
You'll always get better performance/fuel mileage running the engine as honda intended it to be ran. :thumb:

P06 ecu is for the D15b7. Right now you're tricking your car into thinking it has a D15b7. If you got the correct ecu, P07 and used the correct o2 sensor (5-wire) and ran wiring to hook up the vtec solenoid & pol pressure switch, this motor will run like it is intended, giving much better MPG :thumb:
By neo27ny
#272401 Thanks teal appreciate the info, I'll try switching that sensor. That's the way it was hooked up when I got it. I never had a vtec engine before wasn't familiar with the plugs. Would that cause the cooling fan to fire up randomly?
By teal_dx
#272420 it might... It will come on when needed but if that is indeed the wrong plug then that means the oil pressure would be telling the fan to switch on. Never seen it happen before but I suppose that might make it random.

There's also a temp sensor on the head so I'm not sure which one goes to the gauge and which one controls the fan, if they even work that way.
By neo27ny
#272495 The fan switch must be on the thermo housing, my temp gauge seems to be working correctly. Now all I have left is hooking up the vtec. I'm do some searching on it but do you have any suggestions? I need the P07 ecu correct and where would I get the vtec harness? Thanks again teal