ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By Wicked
#271905 This is gonna be a sort of DIY and review/Info in one. So as a few of you may know, recently I had come up on some fog lights, Ebay fogs to be exact...One of the things I had read about the ebay and knock off fogs is that the switches suck ass and tend to die. So taking this into account after taking a look at my switch, I thought to myself hey this may be something avoidable, I just happened to have my GF's camera and so this simple DIY was born. Now then this DIY was put together with 2 ideas in mind. I will go over the one I did and then I will go over the one I was ultimately going to do. I used the Civic-EG sticker image to watermark my images so they are Civic-EG exclusive let me know if I should remove them.

Anyways lets get started....

So for this DIY I used..

- 1 Egay FOG Switch.

- 1 Cruise Control Switch (I didn't get the chance to check, but it most likely can work with a defroster switch as well. You can get them from the auto wreckers, online, or you may have one laying around, they're a dime a dozen, I think this ones from my black dashboard or its just one I had laying around.)

- 1 Very small Very thin Standard (Flat Head) Screwdriver (or something of similar size that can be used for prying).

Now that we have everything lets begin...

So first pull out your switch from the housing it comes in. You do this by pushing in these 4 clips all at the same time and
applying pressure forward so it will slide past them and out...You should only need your fingers unless your a girly man...:?

-1 on the left of the switch at the top.
-1 on the top to the left.

-1 On the right side middle.

-1 On the Bottom also to the left...or right depending on what part of the world you live on..:crazy:

Your switch should slide right out of the housing. It may need to be man handled a little...But don't fret because if you've gotten this far then your no girly man! :thumb:.

Now that we have it out lets take a look at our Ebay fog switch and compare to our OEM Honda Cruise Control Switch.

First thing is a given. The colors DO NOT MATCH! :facepalm: The Ebay switch is darker then the OEM switch also no little speckle patterns.
If we take a closer look we notice the Ebay Switch is a TAD BIT LARGER then the OEM switch. Also the OEM's Decal is a perfect fit. The ebay switch...not so much..:thumbdown:

Here you'll notice the thickness of the button plate. The Ebay switch is about twice as thick as the OEM switch.
Mind you this WILL stick out in your dash. :thumbdown:

Side by side comparison shows Soldered on lights that dont even line up with the holes...:?:.
Also gonna mention the Ebay button plate feels very flimsy on the Ebay Switch.

Lastly now here is the money maker...Check the bottom's. The same plug style. Your ebay wire harness will plug right into this OEM button! No shitty switch for you! :woot:

I take back my previous statement :bs:, unless you've got a laser printer or access to one your stuck with the shitty button plate. But at least you have a better designed switch.
So lets continue now by taking your screwdriver (or prying tool of your choice) and if you look in between the button plate and the actual switch
housing on the ebay switch, on the sides you'll notice its held on by 4 clips. Pry each clip off its ummm...clip...and pop the button plate off.
Also do this for the Cruise control switch as well.

Now you should have something like this...

Now here was where my second idea started I decided I'd just switch the decals...Not realizing until I had already started that the switches where opposites...:? You DON'T have to do this, unless you want to. Anyways Id assume if you have access to something like a laser printer. With a Fog decal image of your choice and some photoshop skills you could prolly take some of that clear projector paper that teachers use and print yourself a new decal. But if you don't have the time for that ATM like me or you just don't have access to the materials then your stuck with the ebay button plate...

To take off the decal all you need to do is put pressure in the middle where its open, and push till it pops off.

Since I was here and got pics, I'm just gonna point out that The OEM decal is glued on with some good sticky stuff...The Ebay decal...well its pretty much as sticky as clear tape that's been touched by oily sweaty hands a thousand times over. In order to get that left over sticky stuff off the OEM switch plate cover all I used was some Goo Gone and a rag with a little scrubbing and it came right off. Wiped it down with some IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) to get rid of any goo gone that might be left and then you would just add your sticker if you had one.

Back on track now simply take your Ebay Cover plate and push it onto the OEM Button and make sure all the little clips pop into place, MAKE SURE YOU DONT PUT IT ON UPSIDE DOWN or the green strip wont light up. AND VIOLA simple. Also you'll notice the button is not flimsy feeling like it was on the ebay button.

Now install and hate how much the switch sticks out like a sore :thumb: