ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By OmarG
#259746 I have an EJ1 with cruise control not working. My friend owned the car before me had his timing belt slip, and his whole motor grenaded on the highway at 7k RPMs causing a nice fire under the hood. I bought the car, and dropped a type-r swap in it.

Ever since I've owned the car, my cruise control hasn't worked. The little light on the dash switch will light up when depressed, but when I press the toggles on the steering wheel, nothing happens. Nothing pops up on my gauge cluster saying "cruise control." I also have a JDM Si-R cluster. (do they even have a cruise control light on them?) Anyways the fuses look good. How can I trouble shoot the problem? I asked my buddy and he said to "Just start replacing shit until it works." I don't have the money to do that. How can I test the individual components to see what needs replacing?
By RWMIII
#260305 check the switches on both the brake pedal arm and clutch pedal arm to see if the rubber grommet that pushes the switch button has broken off.

On the clutch the lower switch is for the cruise control. The pink wire should be grounded when the clutch is not pressed.

a broken "clock spring" connection to the steering wheel would also disable the cruise control buttons.
By RWMIII
#260307 you also need the cruise light bulb to complete the circuit and the JDM Si-R cluster does not have this. Maybe you could retro fit it?
By OmarG
#260426 Thanks for the suggestions! The little grommet for the brake lights popped out a while ago. I replaced it with that little plastic screw holder thingy from the door panel where it meets with the dash. Annnnd I bypassed my clutch interlock switch, but it wasn't working loooong before that.

I'll have to figure out which wires are for the cruise control light... Shit... I'll probably just wire in an LED and mount it on one of the toggle switch block off plates on my dash. I don't want to start butchering an Si-R gauge cluster just for cruise control.
By RWMIII
OmarG wrote:I don't want to start butchering an Si-R gauge cluster just for cruise control.

x2

The Canadian Si-R guages have the cruise control, so maybe find a broken one or something? :?
By suspendedHatch
#260501 Just use a resistor instead of a bulb.

The Helms has an excellent troubleshooting guide for cruise.
By RWMIII
suspendedHatch wrote:Just use a resistor instead of a bulb.

The Helms has an excellent troubleshooting guide for cruise.

good idea, but i think he prob wants to know when his cruise is engaged, hence the LED.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/cru ... /1047.html
By asianrob
#260513 cruise ecu might be bad? its located on the driver side foot well in the upper area under the dash.
By 95c1v1c
#260564 You need both switches working on your pedals. Unlikely solid state controle module is problem...fix ur switches on pedals.