ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By KerEGsedan
#259724 So I've been looking all over google and from what I'm seeing it is possible to use a d series ECU on a b series engine. I'm going to do a b20 swap non vtec into my non vetc 92 sedan. I don't want vtec so just wondering if what I've found is right. Can I use my stock d15 ECU and harness on a b20?
By dbrooks
#259725 i don't think it will run right at all and that's IF it will run. it will work much better and be a lot more dependable if you get the corresponding ECU for your motor.
By KerEGsedan
#259731 Ok thanks. :thumb:
By forcefedEG
#259749 The engine.harness will work, you may need to lengthen a plug.or 2 or maybe cut.the loom open on the.harness to re route.the wires , as for the ecu, a ls ecu with the p75 code will run a b20 pretty good.

I had a dx harness on my first turbo ls it worked.well :thumb:
By chrono404
forcefedEG wrote:The engine.harness will work, you may need to lengthen a plug.or 2 or maybe cut.the loom open on the.harness to re route.the wires , as for the ecu, a ls ecu with the p75 code will run a b20 pretty good.

I had a dx harness on my first turbo ls it worked.well :thumb:

You can use a DX Harness on a B20. Just lay it over onto the b20. You will have to lengthen your o2 sensor wiring and thats it. You also need an OBD1 Dizzy. You can take the obd2 dizzy and a obd1 dizzy and swap guts(minus the center shaft) If you dont want to do that you can just buy an OBD1 LS Dizzy.
The p75 ECU works good on the b20, its what I have in my b20 Delsol. Running a D Series ecu on a B Series isn't a good idea. It has the wrong maps and has the possibilty of harming your engine.
By KerEGsedan
#259879 Would it just be easier to take the whole harness and ecu out of a CRV or something and make the switch to OBD2?
By OmarG
KerEGsedan wrote:Would it just be easier to take the whole harness and ecu out of a CRV or something and make the switch to OBD2?

No. Not at all. OBDII is crap IMO. You have more PITA sensors, wiring, and headaches. There are SO many more tuning options with OBDI from my experience. In my opinion it would be much easier just to buy a p75, OBDI dizzy, and extend a couple of wires. :thumb:
By forcefedEG
#260263 The obd2 b20 harness won't plug up, its like the harness from an ek, the ls one will, but you would be better off using the dx harness you already have, you can use a obd2 or 1 ls distributor, the obd2 will require a distributor jumper harness.
By chrono404
#260304 Use the D series harness you have. extend the o2 sensor wires. and get a OBD1 B18b Dizzy.
By forcefedEG
chrono404 wrote:Use the D series harness you have. extend the o2 sensor wires. and get a OBD1 B18b Dizzy.

^End of story
By elrompetoto
forcefedEG wrote:
chrono404 wrote:Use the D series harness you have. extend the o2 sensor wires. and get a OBD1 B18b Dizzy.

^End of story
u can use the b20 one just cut the plug and wire in the obd1 plug all the wires r the same
By forcefedEG
#260381 The usdm and jdm b20 distributors will not pin into obd1, there 2 wires short of coming out right..... the obd2 ls can pin into obd1 the only difference In the obd1 and 2 ls distributors is.the obd2 has the wires consolidated into one plug....

And the po6 would not run my b20 it bucked and jumped at part throttle cursing due.to not.having Tht right maps..... im surprised you had good luck with a po6
By OmarG
#260432 To be brutally honest, My Type-R swap ran perfectly fine on my old virgin P28 until my chipped ECU came in. The only real difference I could tell was the fuel cutoff. That, and it felt like it had way more balls on the chipped ECU, other than that, it was fine. VTEC smashed and everything. Maybe I got lucky. I have no experience with any other B series motors, so I can't really say the same for your situation.

LS ECU's aren't that hard to come by though. Better yet, send them your P06. Problem solved. http://www.phearable.net/ecutuning.html
By jayEGR
OmarG wrote:To be brutally honest, My Type-R swap ran perfectly fine on my old virgin P28 until my chipped ECU came in. The only real difference I could tell was the fuel cutoff. That, and it felt like it had way more balls on the chipped ECU, other than that, it was fine. VTEC smashed and everything. Maybe I got lucky. I have no experience with any other B series motors, so I can't really say the same for your situation.

LS ECU's aren't that hard to come by though. Better yet, send them your P06. Problem solved. http://www.phearable.net/ecutuning.html

iam using a P28 on my JDM B20B but its chipped with chrome