ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By chewse
#237911 Hey guys. I picked up my car from the paint shop jus a couple days ago and had an experience I need some insight on....while driving home last night I realised my headlights would flicker evrytime I touch the brakes and I couldve also heard wat sounded like alternator whine evrytime I brought the power windows up or down... But the strange thing is my entire audio system is out of the car so I figured the sound mite be comin thru the open door / headlights have been left on alarm speaker ...when I finally arrived home I switched off the car and attempted to start it but it didn't start and the interior lights would not come on... I figured it was an issue with the battery..opening the hood showed that the negative terminal had become disconected...I reconnected it and evrything was sweetmmmmmbut my questions are
1.Would the disconnected battery cause the alternator to make the whining sound dat increases with revs and other electrical input.
2 shouldnt the car have died shortly after the battery disconnected.
In addition my car has a d15b with dual carbs and I had bad alternator whine when my audio was previously installed which I thought mite have been caused by a bad ground somewhere since I was runnin 2 amps.. With that said . 3. Does my car have an electrical issue.
4. How What componets should I troubleshoot
By ghskid06
#237913 1. No
2. No your alterantor should produce enough voltage for your car to run if working properly. thats often how you know whether its a bad bat or alternator.

3. Your alternator is probably just on its way out the door. Fully charge ypur battery and see if your still having problems. If things are still flickering on a full battery then yes you prob have a wiring issue.
4. Just wait and see if your alt goes bad, or take it to get tested.
By chewse
#237918 The alternator doesn't have a prob with charging the battery.... Are u saying that if my battery disconnects while driving that there will not be obvious signs?.... Cus I once drove another vehicle and the car died on me while driving cus the battery got disconnected
By 94EJ2
#237925 if you have a stereo in the deck will shut off and turn back on thats how i know if my battery come undone
By 95c1v1c
#237944 your terminals need to be tight in order to have proper continuity. I would say yes you had a bad ground for your amps, you need a thick wire for ground, that's where your electrons (-) come from. Red wire doesn't need such a big wire. Make sure you are metal on metal with ur grounds.
By chewse
#237954 I tested my alternator and battery with a volt meter and both seemed to be in the proper range...I will be reinstalling my stereo today will let u guys no how it goes...also my live and ground are both 12 gauge wire is that a prob since I have two amps
By ghskid06
#237965 Well then the problem with the car wad not only the battery. You can start a car and pull the battery cable without the car dying. Alternators also should not wine, that mweans there is a problem.

You need bigger gauge wires.'

for proper amplifier instalation, to reduce alternator whine, check here
http://www.ehow.com/how_5219368_elimina ... ation.html
Last edited by ghskid06 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By 95c1v1c
chewse wrote:I tested my alternator and battery with a volt meter and both seemed to be in the proper range...I will be reinstalling my stereo today will let u guys no how it goes...also my live and ground are both 12 gauge wire is that a prob since I have two amps

For 2 amps...I wouldn't run anything smaller than 8 gauge. I was running a 300w total power system with 4 gauge ground and battery and 8 gauge into my amps (3 amps). I didn't have any whine, but I had to rebuild my alternator every 2-3 years due to the load. Most important is a good metal-to-metal FRAME GROUND. Body ground is ok as long as there is no paint or corrosion on the connection.