ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By Classiccarsrule85
#159272 So once again im tired just tired of the same old eg cluster i have (usdm) but to be honest ive tried the ek cluster and integra cluster and still was not satisfied then i saw the s2k cluster and it made me cream my pants i love digital stuff.....and i dont know i think i respond better to lights lol idk what it is about it but yea anyhow

then i saw the pricetag for a s2k cluster and was like wtf as well as the fact it got more expensive if they cut the back harness........so you would have the plugs and not to mention youd need a differnt speed sensor.......

But now we get into the good stuff
Was searching ebay just now i got bored and well me being the way i am i get tired and actually do productive stuff i mean hell im awake most the day i normally sit or something other than thinking.....

but i came across this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-IN ... 25578de1a5

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-03-HO ... 3ca7f80e9b

a 2000-2003 honda insight cluster at about half the cost of a s2k cluster for reasons unknown to me and it being well completely digital for the most part. I am right now curious to see what my options are for it.....it looks to be about the same dimensions as the s2k cluster and im sure loosely built the same.... but yea just wondering on what peoples thoughts are on the cluster to me the only other option to the boring stock cluster is to build my own but if i do that im gonna be probaly too creative lol and want to throw every kinda guage possible in there but i think i could do it lol......and wiring up the idiot lights i would make my own panel

Ok so now that ive written an essay on this whole thing im mainly looking for opinions thoughts etc.....me im just a guy who wants something different as well as something honda lol but yea im just to the point where im bored with my cluster and would like something different.....
By chrono404
#159309 You will most likely have to convert the speed and tempatue settings as they do in the s2k. Its a pretty cool Cluster, In the K-Sight(k20 powered insight) they used a s2k cluster so they are close in size.

Problems that i see with it is that noone that i have found has stuck one in an EG, so you will be on your own, Also the tach only goes to 7k, as well as the charge and battery gauges wont be doing much, I guess you rewire them to do something else like a A/F Ratio and boost gauge. That would be cool.

Cool Idea, I wanna see this stuffed in an EG dash and working.l Good luck.
By Classiccarsrule85
#159352 Yea i figured it would be pretty much like the s2k and i do also remember the k-sight lol but yea right now im probaly looking to do alot of research and stuff like that on wiring etc....i was thinking the battery guage could be that of a battery guage, the chargeing set-up could be used for possible boost or idk oil psi better yet the air fuel ratio sounds good too....

i like to think outside the box and do things most people wouldnt think twice of doing for example my ek center console in my eg , but yea right now im in the beginning stages of research since i just found this cluster on ebay....im thinking of looking at my local junkyard for a cluster so i can get the plugs as well......not sure exactly how the mileage will work but i do know 6k redlines fine for me i bearly hit 5 as it is lol but yea i can always go to 6 6.5k and shift

but yea im game to try this out im always happy toying with wireing and stuff like that. thats why i did the ek cluster into the eg, and dc cluster into my car as well but those i ended up getting bored wit and went to stock again and now im bored again lol.....

was thinking of the rsx but i forgot i already tried a 03-04 cluster in my car i got the wiring almost figured out then when i thought about fitment yea didnt go very well at all wouldnt fit so yea also the 00-04 cluster is loosely based on the rsx .....so yea plus its not digital so onward with the insight cluster / research i will post what i find on here in this thread and if all goes well make a diy in the end probaly will take awhile but whatever if i get something unique im good.....
By Classiccarsrule85
#159402 ok so as of right now ive sepnt a few hours digging around online and really havent come up with a harness diagram for the insight tho i did find this it was kinda funny being that ive done plenty of cluster swaps i dont like people who take their fears and portray them as facts such as the guy who posted last on it did

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 932AA8kw71

but yea im still gonna keep a looking its bound to be somewhere....

any help is greatly appreciated lol
By ikon
#159408 im gettin an s2k cluster for christmas and im posting a diy...... ill race u to it. :lol:
By Classiccarsrule85
#159409 ok another update lol

so since i havent found any at all wiring diagrams or suggestions to one (i dont wish to buy a book since im not sure im gonna go with the cluster) since now like i always do my minds jumping around to other possibilities since i already have a few guages (autometer oil psi, a/f ratio the cheaper one not wideband, tach.....) im thinking about making my own cluster since id prefer to have a large accurate readout of how my car is doing....

and looking at speedometers, i really have thought about going with a datsun z but i cant remember if thats cable driven or not....since i cant seem to find a speedo cable for one im still unsure......but right now im looking at japanese guages and possibly some euro from cars that have the guages seperately wired up.

(update) the z as i suspected has a cable driven speedo....back to the search lol....
By Classiccarsrule85
ikon wrote:im gettin an s2k cluster for christmas and im posting a diy...... ill race u to it. :lol:

thats a s2k im not sure yet if the insights the same as the s2k.....lol but yea i dont even know what gonna happen im bored and when i get bored i get creative....
By Classiccarsrule85
#297266 Well i can now bump this thread to a point where my self bought that of a honda insight cluster cant wait to find the pinout diagram which is a tad hard to find but hopefully i can get things going
By teal_dx
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:Well i can now bump this thread to a point where my self bought that of a honda insight cluster cant wait to find the pinout diagram which is a tad hard to find but hopefully i can get things going

:woot:

You're the first to attempt this (that I know of) :thumb:
By mitch6
#297465 That would be very sick if you can pull off that cluster!!! :thumb: :thumb:

I have an s2k cluster in my car, losts of researching invloved but the work was pretty easy. Over all it is my favorite cluster in the eg, I have been through the stock eg cluster, SIR cluster, GSR cluster and now s2k.

If you look around you might find yourself a deal, I picked up my cluster for $80 with only 33 kms on it and bought the wires for $110. Then you need the modifry chip and speedohealer, so total was about $350 CAD for everything :hehe:

probably have to buy a speedohealer and a ECT module of some sort just like the S2K cluster for the insight cluster (I think that was already mentioned :wink: )

keep us posted, this is very interesting!! :)
By bks84
#297488 Good luck making this work, I was looking into putting an EM2 cluster in my wifes Ej, but after reading and realizing that the Cluster gets most of its signals from an ECU or sorts it became very obvious it wasnt going to work.

I wouldnt be surprised if this cluster did the same thing, where you'd need to have that box (for lack of a better term) to make it function 100%.

Also, i ran across a build thread on HT where a dude built a box for use w/the S2K cluster. It converted the temp, speed and fuel gauge readings all in one lil package and is cheaper than buying all the other components (to make it work) separately.

The box is $220 shipped from over seas (UK), then the cluster is what... $250 usually?

http://www.whiteforddaviesmotorsport.co ... verter.dwt