K20 & K24
By speeeedfreak
#73161 I saw a K20 base engine swap available for $1500 dollars online and was wondering if it is worth it. That specs I believe are alot lower than the K20A as it is the base RSX engine. Would it be worth the money, or would I be better off with something else and if so, then what would anybody recommend.
By asianrob
#73162 not really... just buy the K20A from the RSX S its worth it more than the K20 out of the Si/ Base RSX
By speeeedfreak
DC4rob wrote:not really... just buy the K20A from the RSX S its worth it more than the K20 out of the Si/ Base RSX

yahh i would but its so expensive i can't find one for anything less than 4000 dollars and i just dont have that much bank.

what type of engine would you recommend other than the K20A??
By chrono404
speeeedfreak wrote:
DC4rob wrote:not really... just buy the K20A from the RSX S its worth it more than the K20 out of the Si/ Base RSX

yahh i would but its so expensive i can't find one for anything less than 4000 dollars and i just dont have that much bank.

The K20a3 out of the Base RSX/Civic Si are pretty slow as they have the Vtec-E Style Heads. A Good B20vtec will beat them, Hell my D16z6 on the Bottle beats them.

I Recommend a B20vtec. It can be done for much less then a Good K Series, and the Wiring is alot easier. There is a Good DIY on how to Make a Reliable B20vtec. Make sure you and read and follow it if you want your Engine to survive.

Another Route to go is to Turbo Charge or Nitrous your D16 in your Civic now. I spent 400 for my Base Wet Nitrous Kit Online. Tuned it myself after learning how to(Check nitrous forum) Mixed with Basic I/H/E and my Car Pulls Hard, Expecally for a Fat Pig EX Coupe with all the toys.

Turbo Setups can be done for Cheap if you know what your doing. They also make good power. I like the fact I have a car that gets 30-34mpg in town driving and when I want to still be able to smash like hell when I open up the bottle. Turbos get good fuel economy when they are babied, But I still love the Simplicity of my Nitrous Kit.

If you don't have much Bank and want to race, I recommend a JDM D15b or ZC, Get a Stage 3 or 4 Racing Clutch, and put it on the EX/Si Tranny and Nitrous it. Get a Good tune and this setup will spank most of the swapped cars and then some.
By speeeedfreak
chrono404 wrote:
speeeedfreak wrote:

The K20a3 out of the Base RSX/Civic Si are pretty slow as they have the Vtec-E Style Heads. A Good B20vtec will beat them, Hell my D16z6 on the Bottle beats them.

I Recommend a B20vtec. It can be done for much less then a Good K Series, and the Wiring is alot easier. There is a Good DIY on how to Make a Reliable B20vtec. Make sure you and read and follow it if you want your Engine to survive.

Another Route to go is to Turbo Charge or Nitrous your D16 in your Civic now. I spent 400 for my Base Wet Nitrous Kit Online. Tuned it myself after learning how to(Check nitrous forum) Mixed with Basic I/H/E and my Car Pulls Hard, Expecally for a Fat Pig EX Coupe with all the toys.

Turbo Setups can be done for Cheap if you know what your doing. They also make good power. I like the fact I have a car that gets 30-34mpg in town driving and when I want to still be able to smash like hell when I open up the bottle. Turbos get good fuel economy when they are babied, But I still love the Simplicity of my Nitrous Kit.

If you don't have much Bank and want to race, I recommend a JDM D15b or ZC, Get a Stage 3 or 4 Racing Clutch, and put it on the EX/Si Tranny and Nitrous it. Get a Good tune and this setup will spank most of the swapped cars and then some.

I read about a guy who rebuilt a D16z6 block and made ridiculous power out of his engine. I have not come across this engine anywhere. Where could I get this engine? Or where could I order a rebuilt engine? I just bought the car and it has over 150000 miles on it. How much power are you getting out of your setup?
By chrono404
speeeedfreak wrote:I read about a guy who rebuilt a D16z6 block and made ridiculous power out of his engine. I have not come across this engine anywhere. Where could I get this engine? Or where could I order a rebuilt engine? I just bought the car and it has over 150000 miles on it. How much power are you getting out of your setup?

The D16z6 comes in a 92-95 Civic EX or Si. You can find used ones on Craigslist. I don't know of any reputable site that sells them though, let alone a rebuilt engine. The JDM D15b is basically like the D16 only in a 1.5liter variety, you most likely can get a better deal on a D15b.

I am running on a Custom Shot nozzle, Calculatorsays about 120 shot or so. The D16z6 puts out 125ish stock, I am probably putting at least 190-210hp to the ground. Probably 230-240 @ the fly, I have yet to be on a Dyno. Stock Rods are still holding, Stock clutch died shortly after the Install of my Nitrous Kit, I really close to the limit for what the Rods will handle.

I dont recommend putting as big of shot as I do if you don't have backup engines/Forged Rods. I have another Stock complete D16z6 sitting in my Garage waiting. The Good thing about going with a Powerful D-Series is that once you blow an engine they are cheap to fix/get blocks.

If after this you are thinking of going Nitrous D, and i suspect you will think about it, Read this
By speeeedfreak
#73324 I am looking to get at least 300 ponies on the ground with whatever engine I choose. I know the D is cheap, but can it make those kind of numbers with boost? Could I turbo a D and get those kind of numbers or more? When I am done I would like to be in the 400whp range...
By sihatch9508
speeeedfreak wrote:I am looking to get at least 300 ponies on the ground with whatever engine I choose. I know the D is cheap, but can it make those kind of numbers with boost? Could I turbo a D and get those kind of numbers or more? When I am done I would like to be in the 400whp range...

how much money are you willing to spend?

you can easily put a D series in the 400whp rang with all the nescessary mods.

being a member on clubrsx ppl ive seen ppl sell K series on there fairly cheap so what you could do is go there and see what some ppl have, maybe post up a want to buy and explain to them your plan.

ppl with 02-04 type s rsxs (k20a2) put down 200whp with just cai/rh/e/tune. if you get the k20z1 i think its that came in the 05-06 type s you can expect a little more than 200whp with same mods. its probly safe to say you can easily see 300whp on an n/a k series, once again with necessary mods to do so.

however, if you want to boost on a k20a2 you will see 300whp+ on 9psi safely on the stock block w/ kpro.
By King-K
#83231 1500+550 for mounts, +700 for headers,+ 220 for fuel lines,+ 300 for rcrew harnes,+ 350 for axels,+ shifter box, kpro, etc.....

Just build a b series or buy a type r swap. Or get a k24a8 atleast...