K20 & K24
By kylenjdm93
#324226 this is going to be a multi post write up on some good knowledge for you wanting to go k or thinking it...

alot of you on here are not sure about going k or not, some say they are expensive and some say they are cheap...

it all depends on what you want to have, is it all motor? turbo? or supercharge?

the next thing you need to figure out is if you want it to be a weekend warrior or a daily driver

you can make your own sub harness for the eg for rather cheap if you have access to a decent local junk yard and decent solder skills for around 100 bux

there are many many ways to install the engine harness in the chasis, you can use an existing hole, or drill another one...

most k series swaps come with the rsx firewall plug, you can silicone them on to your firewall and they make a decent seal that doesn't leak water inside the cabin at all.
By kylenjdm93
#324227 Image

you can get parts to build your own k longblock rather cheaply

the rebuild gasket kits are about the same price as a b16 rebuild kit.

the piston / rod combo on the k series engines are phenominal, full floating wrist pin with locks...

our b, and d engines have the heat and press piston / rod combo

not so good for hard reving or boost, most aftermarket piston / rod combo come set up as free floating anyway.. but im talking oem

k series heads have more flow on a flow bench stock than a mildly ported b16 head, these ports are huge...

k series head below
[img][IMG][img]http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo334/kylenjdm/khead_zps843f47ff.jpg[/img]

b series head below

as you can see the k series ports are much larger

a cheap decent block to build up is the k20a3, I see them on craigslist all the time for 3-500 bux

they do not have real vtec, instead the cylinder head acts much like a single cam. see pic below

and a real vtec head like the k20a2, k20a, k24a2, k20z

as you can see the difference between the heads the a3 head only has 1 vtec cam and the a2 head has 2 vtec cams

you can change the pistons in the k20a3 to k20a2 pistons to bump up the compression...

HERE IS THE REALLY COOL K ENGINE MOD FOR THE A3

you can purchase k20a3 intake rockers, and exhaust rockers, change the springs to the duals like the k20a2, install a k20a2 camshafts and now you are halfway done converting this head to a k20a2...

yep! you can do this, it may be more cost effective depending on were you live to just purchase a real vtec head for your build...

hybrid racing has a line of timing tensioners, I would never waste my time with skunk2, as they're product is made in china....
hybrid racings product is reliable.

using a good tensioner is key to a long lasting k build
By Apexracing
#324377 get the upper chain guide from the 06-2011 civic si's too. But the a3 block does not have oil squirters in the block for piston cooling unfortunately. The best bang for the buck k series is the k24a1 crv motor. 160hp/160tq. To the fly of course, Boost will go along way to helping those out tho.
By kylenjdm93
#324405 avid your right, the bore/stroke is the same as the a2, however putting a a2 head on a a3 is the same logic as an ls/vtec, hence the no oil squirters, I have not had any complaints when putting these combos together... they last if you take care of them... also putting in a oil cooling system goes a little ways as well.

to the other guy

there are many ways of putting these engines together some say some timing chain crap is better than others but if you go to Honda and look up the part numbers 90% of them are the same.....
if you have questions pm me directly

no problem. :thumb:
By kylenjdm93
#324407 crv engines are almost crap....

the crap engines are k24a4 accord engines

you still have to mod the k24a1 to get decent oil pressure to the k20a2 head, running a k20a2 pump is a good start but you have to tap and plug a hole in the block

see pic below

either way, its down to budgets for most people....
By Apexracing
#324411 Im not talking frank motors. Bang for buck the k24a1 is better than the k20a3.
By kylenjdm93
#324413 If you read I am, ya bang for the buck torque wins hands down....
2.4 for around 3-500 bux :thumb: the intake sucks but they r cheap
By Apexracing
kylenjdm93 wrote:If you read I am, ya bang for the buck torque wins hands down....

Yea the rbc is really a good option. And usually are cheap. Even the prb is better. But yea, im not a fan of frank motors as you would need kpro to even run them.
By kylenjdm93
#324424 If you don't k pro what's the point in going k?

You can do it cheap....

But the word cheap doesn't exist when talking about doing it right.....

My personal advice save up make sure you buy the right parts...

We both have valid points and opinions,

I've personally done 6 k swaps last year, 4 eg, 1 ek, 1 DC

Hondata claims 40 additional ponies can be made with kpro, of course that depends on a tuners expertise and skill..... so again why not kpro?
" if you want to make a Baby you need to take the condom off "
By Apexracing
#324425 Oh just saying there are alternatives. Such as running the k20a2 on the stock ecu. Running the k24a1 on a ep3
Ecu with larger injectors. Personally i already have my k24a2. Just gotta put it in. But some people have budgets ect.
By kylenjdm93
Apexracing wrote:
kylenjdm93 wrote:If you read I am, ya bang for the buck torque wins hands down....

Yea the rbc is really a good option. And usually are cheap. Even the prb is better. But yea, im not a fan of frank motors as you would need kpro to even run them.

I run the RBC on all k swaps I do 250 cut for k20 heads.... better priced and better flow than junk2.... club RSX.com parts section....
By kylenjdm93
Apexracing wrote:Oh just saying there are alternatives. Such as running the k20a2 on the stock ecu. Running the k24a1 on a ep3
Ecu with larger injectors. Personally i already have my k24a2. Just gotta put it in. But some people have budgets ect.

some people do have budgets, i run a jdm k20a, all type r, mildly built and plan on installing a supercharger next year....
By Apexracing
kylenjdm93 wrote:
Apexracing wrote:Oh just saying there are alternatives. Such as running the k20a2 on the stock ecu. Running the k24a1 on a ep3

some people do have budgets, i run a jdm k20a, all type r, mildly built and plan on installing a supercharger next year....

Wow i hope you didnt way over pay for it. The usdm k24a2 is a better value by far.