K20 & K24
By jdmdx93
#320900 I wanted to drop a simple ls swap in my dx sedan (eg) but after seeing how many k series I can go get I got to thinking if it was worth it.
One of my buddies told me its a pain to maintain one because the engine bay is small, i think he's full of it but wanted a second opinion from someone who knows what there talking about.
Keep in mind I want a daily driver, not a turboed show car.
Input would be greatly appreciated!!
By Uknterror
#320904 Not that bad really most costly is the ecu and wiring. Never done a k series swap but know a bunch of knowledgeable people who have done it. If you never priced out a full swap your looking at 4-6k for a stock swap, just a heads up.

As far as engine bay fitment goes its not as big as an ek but more than an ef. It uses less space than a h series i can tell you that.
By Apexracing
jdmdx93 wrote:I wanted to drop a simple ls swap in my dx sedan (eg) but after seeing how many k series I can go get I got to thinking if it was worth it.
One of my buddies told me its a pain to maintain one because the engine bay is small, i think he's full of it but wanted a second opinion from someone who knows what there talking about.
Keep in mind I want a daily driver, not a turboed show car.
Input would be greatly appreciated!!

The only things to maintain are the oil and filter. Change the timing chain/water pump/ serpentine belt, timing chain tensioner, and any other gaskets before you swap it in.
By jdmdx93
#320979 thats one thing i was told was that when you wanna change the timing belt/chain its a pain in the ass. just didnt know if anything else was. Obviously changing the belt on a d series is a little bit of work but nothing serious. but having to take the whole engine out to work on it is crazy and something im trying to steer away from
By Apexracing
#320982 Trust me the stock chain is good to 200+ k miles. You will never have to replace it more than once
By couch_c
#320988 I think having a k series would be pretty cool considering majority of people don't go that route, in fact I've never seen one in front of me in real life yet. But 4000 for a complete swap compared to 600 for b18b1 is a ginormous difference
By teal_dx
#321006 K is a very low maintenance motor. It doesn't need anything other than oil changes/filters for the first 100k mi. Valve clearance only needs to be adjusted every 110k mi. And they say only check it if the valves are noisy.
No timing belt to worry about is a relief. :)
By chrono404
couch_c wrote:I think having a k series would be pretty cool considering majority of people don't go that route, in fact I've never seen one in front of me in real life yet. But 4000 for a complete swap compared to 600 for b18b1 is a ginormous difference

It can be done much much cheaper then 4000.

Honda tuning did a K24 swap out of an accord into a DC Integra(sister car to our Civics) for $1191 + cost of mounts - http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech ... ewall.html

The K24 they used is 160hp/160tq, Its not the Type-R engine with true performance vtec, however its better then an LS or B20 swap. If you get a K24 out of an CR-V you can swap a performance vtec head on it later. the Accord engine will make you swap pistons before being able to swap heads.

Me and a buddy are planning on doing a K24 CR-V engine + Accord 5speed tranny into his 98 Civic Sedan.

Installing a B Series is super easy, it will be easier then using a K series, however K series are more efficant as well as super easy to maintain. Good luck either way you go.
By Apexracing
chrono404 wrote:
couch_c wrote:I think having a k series would be pretty cool considering majority of people don't go that route, in fact I've never seen one in front of me in real life yet. But 4000 for a complete swap compared to 600 for b18b1 is a ginormous difference

Honda tuning did a K24 swap out of an accord into a DC Integra(sister car to our Civics) for $1191 + cost of mounts - http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech ... ewall.html

The K24 they used is 160hp/160tq, Its not the Type-R engine with true performance vtec, however its better then an LS or B20 swap. If you get a K24 out of an CR-V you can swap a performance vtec head on it later. the Accord engine will make you swap pistons before being able to swap heads.

Me and a buddy are planning on doing a K24 CR-V engine + Accord 5speed tranny into his 98 Civic Sedan.

Installing a B Series is super easy, it will be easier then using a K series, however K series are more efficant as well as super easy to maintain. Good luck either way you go.

I dont think they make mounts for the accord tranny its different than the rsx/civic k series trans i believe. I know one wont bolt into my car.
By juls1488
Apexracing wrote:
chrono404 wrote:

I dont think they make mounts for the accord tranny its different than the rsx/civic k series trans i believe. I know one wont bolt into my car.

I didnt think so either but third paragraph in:
The problem with doing a 160 hp/160 torque K24 swap is that the manual transmission from the Accord has a different type of bell housing compared to the RSX and EP3. And at the time, all swap mount kits would only work with the RSX/EP3 trannies.

However, Hasport has stepped up once again to lead the industry. They now have a kit for the EH/DC chassis that will let you use the Accord five-speed, and even the TSX six-speed. Additionally, by mid-summer, they should have the '96-'00 version available as well. At that time, Hasport will also have a dual height version similar to the EKK2 available.

I guess they do though.
By Apexracing
#321102 Well thats cool, guess it makes life easier for older chassis's
By kylenjdm93
#324033 dude all you need is a jack and a good set of tools, changing the oil is so much easier on a k than a b, d, h series engines.

filter is right freakin there on the bottom... lol

drop the pass mount and there you go.... wow I can change my timing chain and oil pump in a couple hours.... wow!

so much room compared to a b series....

the water pump is in front. all you have to do is take off your serpentine belt and there you go 10 10mm bolts and its off....

vtec solenoids are 95 at Honda
head sets are 120 at Honda
tps sensors are 80 on line (blackworks, blox, hybrid)
o2 sensor is a oe wideband (upstream) costly as a b.....
great on gas...
swapping cams is freaking easy if your not a dumb ass
line up the little lines, turn the engine by hand 2 times and make sure they are all matching and what do you know good to go...

super easy maintenance, pull my radiator and I fit in the bay of my eg with a k20 with rbc intake manifold.....

yep lots of room..

dude must never ever seen a real k swapped eg, ek, dc in his life before...
By TheMidasTouch
#326129 The timing chain vs belt thing helps a lot. Regular fluid maintenance is a given of course. But they are perhaps more maintenance friendly then other Honda motors. Which makes sense given their design year.
By kylenjdm93
#326131 design year? :eh:

a chain is so much easier to time then a belt for sure

not needing to pry the tensioner on a belt haha!

2 bolts and a new tensioner! put the chain and guides in, boom bam thank ya mam, pull the pin out of the tensioner and BAM! chain has instant tension...