K20 & K24
By SCREECHO
#314937 Nice!
I'll try find the DIY harness info from k20a.
But a sparkks conversion harness normally sells for 120 shipped.
Hasport sells the tsx trans mount. Or you can get a k20 trans case and swap the guts.
Surely though you can make out on parting the rest of the car out.
By LaosToaster
#317097 ok heres an update, i have been busy the past few weeks making careful deals. as u know by now i have bought a wrecked tsx that i parted out, made more money than expected, its good to live in a big city.

there is bad news i have to spill, first of all the damn tsx is an automatic!! :x but its ok i later find out that its more practical swapping out the stupid drive by wire and using a traditional cable throttle. the ecu wont work with conversion harness and it wont plug in into a conversion(if there was one made forr it) although i must say if i did have a manual tsx it is possible to swap everything over, but say u screwed up somewhere in the wiring, i can safely say, u are now fucked. the wiring is so advanced( when i say swapping everything over i mean the cluster, the underdash fuse box, underhood fuse box, multiplexer bs, etc) so save yourself the headache, just go with what works. so i dont recommend doing a full everything swap over.

so now that thats said, i have a new goal for this project. my goal is to get this k24 motor w/ a manual transmission running in my hatch for under $3000. i believe its possible. so far right now i have a net spending of $500 with a nice k24 sitting in my garage along with a bunch of random tsx parts laying in my garage.

so now i have $2500 left to spend. but i have been busy finding steals on ebay i just bought a full k20 swap for $2600 shipped, gonna swap over everything needed for the k24 to be completed and then sell the motor for $1500-$2000 so in total i could potentially be into this project for $1100 at that point, the leftover parts would be the mounts, conversion harness, shifter, fuel set up etc u get the idea. so u see, this swap is possible being cheap finding killer deals. i will now change the title of this thread as "the cheapest k swap"

i measure the amount spent towards the project as the subtracting the amount of parts sold from the tsx and my old b16 vs the total amount spent on everything K related
the k20 swap i just recently bought
how shes sitting currently

By Fada Blayne
#324170 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Good luck buddy! already looking good!
By LaosToaster
#324171 VV
Last edited by LaosToaster on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LaosToaster
#324184 thanks dude. well its been a while i updated ive been very busy. i got the k24 in and running great with tue exception of the infamous p1166 code..

heres a few pics

after i sell my k20 i will be well under $3000. i will be around the $2300-$2500 mark. and i still have alot of parts from the tsx to sell and if i do sell nearly everything i could bring it down to the $1800 range.

here are the STOCK parts that can be thrown in the swap
- type s shifter bolted down with a homemade shifter plate
-stock tsx exhaust manifold, yes they clear the subframe and steering rack
- stock cat converter lol, had to shorten catback then weld
- stock fuel line but moddified
-stock type s axles with b outers and swapped inners
-stock fuel rail
-stock intake tube with aem filter
-random stock hoses from the k20/k24, made that shit fit somehow
might be missing some things.

and my AFTERMARKET mods on it
- tapped fuel pressure regulator on stock fuel rail with return rubber fuel lines, held over 80 psi no leaks.
- walbro pump
-karcept throttle body adapter for type s thottle body
- water temp and fan switch adapter installed at the lower radiator hose

i might not have all the bling parts but it sure as hell beat all those overpriced swap parts, this is my answer for them. my k swap is fully functional, yes i did cut corners as in having to not buy the "right" parts, but is it cutting corners if it does its job just as good as the "right" parts?

let me know what yall think and thanks for looking

now of course i got all the essential parts like the mounts harness
By {ikon}EM1
#324188 Wow u basically did ur own k swap for under 2g's :o

Bravo man :woot:

What did u do for motor mounts and axles??? Did u buy them or slavage them???
By LaosToaster
#324193 i bought innovative steel mounts 75A bushings. very happy with them. the type s axles came with the k20 engine (along with the engine harness, ecu, shifter and cables, transmission, etc)

so i pretty much bought a full k20 swap only to take everything from it transfered to the k24 and the actually k20 engine is not needed, at least in my situation.

why couldnt i just use the whole k20 swap in the first place? well i found this killer deal after buying my tsx and i still wanted the 2.4 torque.
By LaosToaster
#324209 i will attempt to remember all that i have spent and all that i have sold

ok so first is the wrecked tsx, that was $2330
the full k20 swap and all misc parts that came with it $2600
the must-need k swap parts( mounts, harness) $1200

thats a total of $6130 total spent

now here is the list of sold parts
b16a swap $950(most of us will have an engine to sell once going the K route)
parts from the tsx( body parts to interior parts) $1105
whole tsx shell $450 + nice rims

thats a total of $2505 sold so far= $3625 net spent

and now i am waiting for someone to buy my k20a2 for roughly $1500 then maybe another $200 for the tsx auto tranny and another $200 for the hood.

$3625- sold k20 @$1500= $2125, then potentially another-$400 =$1725

so there u have it, my breakdown of cost. this is the MINIMUM] required, (at least for me) to get a running k swap, so i dont have kpro, no shiny headers.

i think got lucky finding deals online but if u want to follow my steps, look around on copart.com its an online auto auction website and just look for cars with K's round your area. when i won the bid for my tsx i won it at $1600 but the fees will add up alot which was about $800 worth of fees on top but shit i still got a killer deal with that.
By juls1488
LaosToaster wrote:i think got lucky finding deals online but if u want to follow my steps, look around on copart.com its an online auto auction website and just look for cars with K's round your area. when i won the bid for my tsx i won it at $1600 but the fees will add up alot which was about $800 worth of fees on top but shit i still got a killer deal with that.

just gave that site a quick check.
super glad you mentioned it, there are a ton of accords and tsx's in my area on it, being sold as is with salvage titles. almost all of em damaged by hurricane irene.
you have saved my many hours of searching scrap yards. thanks :thumb:
By bigJOE671
#324211 Does copart.com ship vehicles...I tried searching on their site but I guess i'm blind

I'm very interested now in doing a K-swap like you did. Didn't want to do it at first because of the cost.
By LaosToaster
#324213 yea no problem man. just try to look for one thats like severely damaged from the side or rear end, theres less competition for those. the listing will show an icon stating if it "runs &drives" .

if your really considering to buy a car from them u can sign up with a one month trial and be able to buy one car, or sign up a full year for about $150 i, think and buy many cars, but however theres a catch. u need to make a security deposit of 10% of your maximum bid up from. the standard deposit is $400 which gives you a bidding power of up to $4000. and yes it is fully refundable. it says it all on the website and its a legit company.

just do alot of reading and u also might need a registered broker, that part is up to you. hope this helps.
By bigJOE671
#324214 Thanks for the fast reply...I found a copart about 1 and half hours away from me. Maybe this year I might start a K-swap and still retain AC ;)
By LaosToaster
bigJOE671 wrote:Does copart.com ship vehicles...I tried searching on their site but I guess i'm blind

I'm very interested now in doing a K-swap like you did. Didn't want to do it at first because of the cost.

yes they provide shipping services if u have a registered broker. ok i forgot to mention, if u want the process to go smoother get a registered broker. i first found out about copart through a registered broker. their website is called easyexport.us. look through all FAQ they have a long list and ask alot of question ls when calling them
By LaosToaster
bigJOE671 wrote:Thanks for the fast reply...I found a copart about 1 and half hours away from me. Maybe this year I might start a K-swap and still retain AC ;)

no problem. lucky for me i have like 3 facilities in my state and one of them is jn my city but the tsx i won was in houston which is like 4 hours away so i had to get it shipped. and lucky for you, u wont need to pay for shipping if picking it up.

i am a little foggy about what is the difference between buying from a registered broker vs without one. all i know is it will be a smoother process but they charge you a fee, mine was like $300 or so