K20 & K24
By teal_dx
#639 This write-up is by Hybrid-Racing.
http://www.hybrid-racing.com is where you can find the parts needed for this swap

What K do I want?
K20a-JDM ITR and CTR both come in with 11.5:1 compression and 2 liters of displacement. The Type R motor is rated at 220hp at 8,000rpm and 152lb-ft at 7,000 rpm. Both of these motors have the same VTEC mechanism as the older B series motors but with the addition of VTC. It also has larger cams, higher compression and larger intake manifold than the Type S motor. This motor comes with a 6 speed transmission and LSD. The 6-speed manual transmission uses multiple synchronizing cones for all gears, including a triple-cone synchronizer in 1st and 2nd gears and a double-cone synchronizer in 3rd through 6th gears.

K20a2-Acura Rsx Type S has 11.0:1 compression and 2 liters of displacement. The Type S is rated at 200hp at 7,400 and 142 lb-ft at 6,000 rpm. This motor also comes with a 6 speed transmission with no LSD. It has the same VTEC mechanism as the older B series motors but with the addition of VTC.

K20a3-Acura Rsx Base and Civic SI models come in with 9.8:1 compression and 2 liters of displacement. The Base motor is rated at 160hp at 6500rpm and 141lb-ft at 4000 rpm. This motor does not use the conventional VTEC mechanism from the earlier B series motors but does have VTC. Instead it only has 2 cam lobes on the intake side and 1 on the exhaust lob. This motor has no VTEC mechanism on the exhaust cam and runs on 12 valves before 2200rpm with the other 4 slightly opening. It also has smaller ports than the Type S and Type R. The motor comes with a 5 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed and has no LSD.

K24a1-Honda CRV comes in with 9.6:1 compression and 2.4 liters of displacement. The motor is rated at 160hp at 6000rpm and 162 at 3600 rpm. This motor does not use the conventional VTEC mechanism from the earlier B series motors but does have VTC. Instead it only has 2 cam lobes on the intake side and 1 on the exhaust lob. This motor has no VTEC mechanism on the exhaust cam and runs on 12 valves before 2200rpm with the other 4 slightly opening. It also has smaller ports than the Type S and Type R. The motor also comes with a 5 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed and has no LSD.

K24a2- The Acura TSX comes in with 10.5:1 compression and 2.4 liters of displacement. The motor is rated at 200hp at 6800rpm and 166lbs-ft at 4500rpm. This motor uses the conventional VTEC mechanism as the older B series motors but with the addition of VTC. This motor uses a drive by wire throttle and has EGR castings on the manifold. This motor comes with a 6 speed transmission and no LSD.

K24a4- the Honda Element and Accord come in with 9.7:1 compression and 2.4 liters of displacement. The motor is rated at 160hp at 5500rpm and 161lbs-ft at 4500rpm. This motor does not use the conventional VTEC mechanism from the earlier B series motors but does have VTC. Instead it only has 2 cam lobes on the intake side and 1 on the exhaust lob. This motor has no Vtec mechanism on the exhaust cam and runs on 12 valves before 2200rpm with the other 4 slightly opening. It also has smaller ports than the Type S and Type R. The motor also comes with a 5 speed transmission instead of the 6 speed and has no LSD.

What is I-VTEC? VTC?
The "intelligent? I-VTEC system uses Variable Timing Control (VTC) to adjust "camshaft phasing." By varying oil pressure, VTC can continuously vary intake timing relative to the engine's exhaust timing. The result of I-VTEC is improved response and enhanced performance at low engine speeds and efficiency across a broad power band. This has been coined Hondas gift to tuners. From the factory VTC has not been optimized for pure performance. The K series motors with the most power will be optimizing the VTC system.

What is the Immobilizer?
Honda has installed a new immobilizer (type 3) in there 02+ model cars. The immobilizer system has 4 parts: The Key, Immobilizer system indicator, Immobilizer control unit, and ECM. All of these must be in place for the car to crank. The key is coded with a transponder id code. The immobilizer control unit is around the ignition switch. It uses an electromagnetic induction to power the transponder in the key. The key then sends its ID code to the control unit. Once received it is matched against the code in the receivers? memory. If the code matches, the immobilizer will send a coded signal to the ECM allowing the car to crank. If it does not match it will not send a code and the car will not crank.

What ECU will I have to use with my K series swap?
Honda has installed its latest version of the immobilizer into its newer generations. This limits us on how to bypass this system. Luckily Honda of Japan gets an ECU that does not have the Type 3 immobilizer installed. Thus you can install a Type R ECU into your EG to allow it to crank with the necessary wiring. The other method requires the use of a Hondata K-pro. The K-pro has the ability to disable the immobilizer from within. In addition to allowing you the ability to disable the immobilizer you will be able to adjust timing, fuel and crank angles. If you plan on going fast with you K motor than the K-pro should be your first purchase. For more information regarding the K-pro check out Hondata?s website in addition to the Hondata notes found on hybrid-racing.com.

What header will I need to use for this swap?
Hybrid Racing is working on a custom Header that will be available with all of its swaps. For now the best header to use on the market is the Comptech TSX header/DC sports header or the stock TSX header.

How do I wire this motor up? How does your conversion harness work?
We start by using all new OEM connectors and creating a new sub-harness that interfaces with your factory dash harness and the OEM K series engine harness. We then add new 02 sensor plugs and a new DTC if your chassis does not have one. Our harness will allow you to maintain full function of your factory gauge cluster and comes with a lifetime warranty from any manufactures defects.

What engine harness do I need to use for my K series swap?
You will be able to use the JDM and USDM engine harness with the hybrid racing conversion harness.

What do I do about the cooling system?
Hybrid Racing will offer a direct bolt in radiator, fan, and radiator bracket. If you have a civic you can relocate your factory radiator to the driver side with some modification. If you have an Integra you will need either the custom radiator or the OEM civic radiator.

How will I shift the car?
You will need to use the stock shifter box in the RSX. Then you will need to run the cables into the chassis and connect them to this unit. The stock center console will not fit over this box. You can also use a modified Accord unit.

What axles do I use when swapping a K series motor into an EG/DC/EK chassis?
Hybrid Racing offers axels for your K series swap. These axles are designed with a chrome molly center and a billet inner c.v. The outer C.V. is superior to Hondas dual arc design and incorporates a single arc design. The level 1 axel is rated at 225whp and is more reliable than a cheap rebuilt unit. These axles are available in 3 different stages.

Do your mounts come with a warranty?
All mounts come with a limited lifetime warranty from manufactures defects.

How will I engage and disengage the Clutch?
A custom clutch line will need to be run.

Can you keep AC and PS?
You will be able to keep AC with custom lines and condenser mounting. The PS will also work with custom lines and a custom hood.

I know that the EG has a return fuel system and the RSX has a return less system what do I do about the fuel system?
You will need new fuel lines, new fuel rail and a new fuel regulator. This is due to the fact that the RSX motor has a return less fuel system and the EG/DC/EK chassis have a return fuel system. The Rsx does not have a Regulator on the fuel rail like the older style B, H, and D series motors. Depending on how you route the fuel lines you can keep the factory fuel rail.

Are your mounts a full race version? Can I drive my car on the street?
We will offer our mounts in 2 stages Race and Street. Both are suitable for street driving with the race version offering a harder bushing than the street.

Are there any clearance issues with the K series motor?
The hood on your EG/DC/EK will fit with no modifications. In the future hybrid racing will offer an adjustable mount that allows you to determine how much ground clearance your motor has. Depending on where you set the adjustment you can have 3-4.5 inches of ground clearance. On the DC/EG/EK chassis with power steering, some lines will have to be rerouted and/or removed. In the future hybrid racing will offer a stronger oil pan with more support.
By teal_dx
#640 Also here is a list of parts and part #'s you will need for the swap:

* P# MK01 EG/EK/DC

* P# WH01 EG/EK/DC

* P# CAS1/2/3 EG/EK/DC

* P# CLU01

* P# RAD01 EG/EK/DC

* P# FUR01

Parts can be ordered from http://www.hybrid-racing.com
By -EJ1- COUPE
#999 really nice writeup thumbs up
By vtec_gloucester
H22+LSD-EJ2 wrote:really nice writeup thumbs up

ditto :wink:
By chnzgoofball
vtec_gloucester wrote:
H22+LSD-EJ2 wrote:really nice writeup thumbs up

ditto :wink:

ditto x2
By Mike
#3597 sticky it. you da man teal.
By sihatch9508
teal_dx wrote:so who's gonna be the first on here to swap a K :twisted:

i wish i had the money and the time to do it but i need my car cus its my dd other wise i garage it and go at it.
By Jsa-SIR2
#3861 i would love to do a K swop, but thats going to brake the bank :(
By ChicagoMike
#3863 There's broken K series motors laying all over the shop I hang at. 9 out of 10 were trashed due to miss shifts. I'll stick with the B.
By LaMbErT*
#8150 Tax me being the first :lol: After im 21 ill drop one in there! And great write up dude!
By marcokeg20
teal_dx wrote:so who's gonna be the first on here to swap a K :twisted:

:hehe: :hehe: [smilie=wave.gif]
By ku
#10879 k20.org is all u need
By HN
#138100 u mean k20a

sry , i know this is old post
By froshtyv
HN wrote:u mean k20a

sry , i know this is old post

No k20a.org is a website k20a is an engine code.