K20 & K24
By 92dxeg
#173790 is the k20a3 worth it i mean its 160 hp but if u put the rsx type s head and intake exhuast and shit would be the specs
By chrono404
#173868 The K20a3 had the VTEC-E style head. When VTEC Activates it opens the second intake valve.

With the K20a and K20a2 VTEC Style head, When VTEC activates it rides a more extreme camshaft for longer valve duration.

The K20a2 pistons have more compression, So you wont get the same power as a K20a2. The K20a2 head will give you more horse power. But not as much as a k20a2 swap.
By forcefedEG
#177201 not worth it, that motor is out performed by ls's gsr's and b16's... for a fraction of the cost :thumbdown: st...
By Scourge
chrono404 wrote:The K20a2 pistons have more compression, So you wont get the same power as a K20a2. The K20a2 head will give you more horse power. But not as much as a k20a2 swap.

^ This. K20A2 is higher compression. And the reason the K20A2 head produces more power is in the cams and cams alone. Replace the K20A3's intake rockers with another set of K20A3 exhaust rockers and you can run K20A2 cams (or any 3 lobe cam) and make the same power except the two smaller econo lobes will not be used ever (VTEC killer setup). Idle will also suck.
By Eg6H2D
#207150 05 Si, from the hatch?. k20a3?. 600 good buy the only difference is the head and i believe pistons. . but if your building id say go k24a4 from an '08+ accord $600-800. slap a type s head for around 600.

Try this. www. car-parts.com
By 92dxeg
#217019 what do u think would i h22 be faster then a k20a3 if the k has an a2 on what would be faster??
By chrono404
92dxeg wrote:what do u think would i h22 be faster then a k20a3 if the k has an a2 on what would be faster??

K20a3's are pretty slow. Even D Series can beat them. So Yeah a much quicker H22 can beat an Ep3 assuming the driver is worth anything. Even a H22 Prelude will be faster then a k20a3 EP, or EG for that matter.

If your looking for a cheap K, totally skip over the k20a3. Get a K24a1 out of the CRV and you will have 160lbs of torque as 160hp, Thats stock. Swap in a Performance K Series head, and you can make some real power.

The k24a4 out of the Accord and Element pistons have the same power, however will not accept the Real Peformance Vtec head with out swapping out pistons.
By Apexracing
#217060 the a3 isnt a total waste, especially if you can score one cheap, and stock for stock the ep3 is faster than the d or the ls motors i've raced both with my si, yes the a3 head isnt any thing special but top it with a a2 head and things will improve quite nicely. thats my plan, also its been proven that the a3 motor loves boost, also i rather be mated to my 5 spd gear box then the troubled 6 spd any day. just my 2
By RPGonzos_EJ
Apexracing wrote:the a3 isnt a total waste, especially if you can score one cheap, and stock for stock the ep3 is faster than the d or the ls motors i've raced both with my si, yes the a3 head isnt any thing special but top it with a a2 head and things will improve quite nicely. thats my plan, also its been proven that the a3 motor loves boost, also i rather be mated to my 5 spd gear box then the troubled 6 spd any day. just my 2

Just for sake of argument, i would say this depends. My little brother has a BONE stock auto '89 LS Integra, a friend of mine has a 05 Si and said the same thing "I'm faster than you!".

The auto Integra walked him everytime they ran each other.

And I have a BONE stock 5-spd '01 Prelude (H22) that the little Si just couldn't hang with either.

He didn't dare challenge my in my coupe with my LS nor my '07 TL Type-S

That's my experience and my 2 cents :)
By Apexracing
#217155 but a h22 is a completely different motor, and no way in hell is a auto ls beating an si, or a d16z6 for that matter, if i were that kid i would get his ep3 checked out,
By Apexracing
#217159 but i will say there are allot of things to consider such as wheels and tires etc, as well as the quality of gas, or how the vehicle is running. but my 08lx sedan has out pulled 4-5 ls integras, i'm not slamming anyone im just saying that the a3 motor shouldn't be counted out. if one can be had for thousands cheaper i say swap it and enjoy.
By RPGonzos_EJ
Apexracing wrote:but a h22 is a completely different motor, and no way in hell is a auto ls beating an si, or a d16z6 for that matter, if i were that kid i would get his ep3 checked out,

Just what we saw ... the Si is just a daily go getter that he goes back and forth to school in. had less than 20K on the clock when that race went down.

I had to mention the H22 cause of the mention to a H22 in a reply earlier.

Apexracing wrote:but i will say there are allot of things to consider such as wheels and tires etc, as well as the quality of gas, or how the vehicle is running. but my 08lx sedan has out pulled 4-5 ls integras, i'm not slamming anyone im just saying that the a3 motor shouldn't be counted out. if one can be had for thousands cheaper i say swap it and enjoy.

Again ... that's why i said "depends" :)

I say build what you want to afford and ENJOY it!!
Last edited by RPGonzos_EJ on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Apexracing
#217170 Ah yes I could of bought a few prelude si's but I love hatch backs. My ep3 will be stored this winter and receive a proper build. My car has 193000 miles and are mostly high way. Only mods I have are springs and struts really good tires and a Kandn short ram. Stomps all over a ls teg with I h e and who knows what else and this kid works where I do so this race goes on daily and he hasn't beaten me yet lol
By 92dxeg
#218239 so my bigest question would be what type of specs would u be looking at with a a3 bottom with a a2 head or an k24a1 bottom and an a2 stock vs stock what would be better
By chrono404
92dxeg wrote:so my bigest question would be what type of specs would u be looking at with a a3 bottom with a a2 head or an k24a1 bottom and an a2 stock vs stock what would be better

The k20a3 is kinda a waste engine imo. Only way to really make power is boost. but a b18 will do just as good and be cheaper to swap in. Going with the K20a3 just doesn't make since as cheaper swaps will be quicker.

It has the small 2.0liter displacement as well as the vtec-e head.

If you are looking for a good cheap k, the k24a1 out of the CR-V is your best bet. you can swap a k24a2 head on it, and get a correct basemap on your kpro and your ready to go. The k24 out of the Accord/Elements need a piston change or to keep the stock vtec-e head. Regardless they have 160hp and 160lbs of torque.