H22A
By -EJ1- COUPE
#7341 USDM H22 open deck block
USDM H23 closed deck block
JDM H22a closed deck block

so i'd say closed deck = boost!! :hehe:
By teal_dx
#7343 which H was it that has the composite sleeves? I remember reading about it and thinking Boost it! because they are super strong. They also require a certain type of honing. I wanna say it was a specific JDM motor from the 88-91 Ludes :?
By vtec_gloucester
#7354 might be a n00b question but whats the difference between open and closed deck block??? :?
By teal_dx
The following is a fine example of a closed-deck block. The cylinder bore is mated right to the surface of the block which gives it incredible stiffness and resistance to warping or cracking. These engines are created using the "sand-cast" or "lost-foam" methods. Both aren't terribly expensive methods of casting, but they'r emuch less accurate than using the die-cast method. This is why all Subaru engines currently use the die-cast, open-deck design.

closed deck:

open deck:
By chnzgoofball
teal_dx wrote:
The following is a fine example of a closed-deck block. The cylinder bore is mated right to the surface of the block which gives it incredible stiffness and resistance to warping or cracking. These engines are created using the "sand-cast" or "lost-foam" methods. Both aren't terribly expensive methods of casting, but they'r emuch less accurate than using the die-cast method. This is why all Subaru engines currently use the die-cast, open-deck design.

closed deck:

open deck:

thanks alot!! :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#7381 92-96 h22a from the US prelude vtec had a closed deck design.