H22A
By Matt.M
#82571 Okay, after spending about 5 hours looking around at engines I think I have FINALLY decided on an H22. I guess I could say the fact that my brother has one in his 92 sedan and even with me in the car we were beating a 96 wrx over and over.

Anyways, I was thinking of the option of a small turbo. Nothing too serious, if that's even possible.

The only problem is, after looking at the engine under his hood...I was just wanting to know if a turbo kit would even fit on a h22 in a 92 civic hatch.

Also, how are the eBay turbos? Should I stay away from things like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Ki ... 240%3A1318
By zeppelin101
#82574 eBay turbo's are very hit and miss, some people run them with no problems, other people run them for a week and they spontaneously combust...

I don't know if that in particular will fit but when fiddling with engine stuff in particular I'd say that 'buy cheap, buy twice' usually applies and you might want to tread carefully looking for bargain parts.
By Method
#82623 it will fit under the hood, look at all that room for a nice snail.

By Matt.M
#82632 I've never really looked at a turbo system before since I'm new to the import cars and I NEVER would have put a turbo on my z28. So I'm really not sure if you're being sarcastic or not :(

They have some on ebay that are a little higher, like $1,100 or so. Think that could be safer? I just don't see many mods you can do to import cars to add hp like I could my v8 camaro, so I figured spending an extra 2 weeks worth of my salary on someone that will make huge gains.
By Ilovemyegg
Matt.M wrote:I've never really looked at a turbo system before since I'm new to the import cars and I NEVER would have put a turbo on my z28. So I'm really not sure if you're being sarcastic or not :(

They have some on ebay that are a little higher, like $1,100 or so. Think that could be safer? I just don't see many mods you can do to import cars to add hp like I could my v8 camaro, so I figured spending an extra 2 weeks worth of my salary on someone that will make huge gains.

there would be some work needed if you wanted to boost the h22, the cylinder walls are crap so you would need to sleeve the block to handle boost, just search around and you'll find all the answers to your questions. I would stay away from ebay especially the turbo kits, im not saying all of the name brand kits are replicas but most are. just be on the safe side i would find a good website to order a turbo kit or piece together your own.

btw i have a h22a in a 92 dx hatch and that thing hulls ass. Trust me you wont regret it! good luck with everything
By Matt.M
Ilovemyegg wrote:
Matt.M wrote:I've never really looked at a turbo system before since I'm new to the import cars and I NEVER would have put a turbo on my z28. So I'm really not sure if you're being sarcastic or not :(

there would be some work needed if you wanted to boost the h22, the cylinder walls are crap so you would need to sleeve the block to handle boost, just search around and you'll find all the answers to your questions. I would stay away from ebay especially the turbo kits, im not saying all of the name brand kits are replicas but most are. just be on the safe side i would find a good website to order a turbo kit or piece together your own.

btw i have a h22a in a 92 dx hatch and that thing hulls ass. Trust me you wont regret it! good luck with everything

Well I'm not going to be doing it myself, I don't want to mess anything up haha. I'm an autobody repair man, not a mechanic. I know nothing about turbos, but I did pick up a book about them at the college and going to start reading up on it some.

Could I just buy a turbo that came off of another car? What type of car if so?
By Ilovemyegg
#82873 yeah you can use any turbo as long as it bolts to your manifold then your good. just to name one they're a couple honda people i know using dsm turbo's like the 16g or a t25. little-i mean little turbos but they spool quick.
By colpitts
#84355 If your going H22 then your not gonna need a huge turbo and alot of boost to achieve some really respectable numbers and thus your not going to need to re-sleeve the block. The H block will be fine under 10 psi of boost, and 7-10 psi in an H22 in an EG will pull like your heavily modded camaro. Look for a turbo that, like said above, is a "DSM" or T25- look for a smaller 'trim' - from .50 to .57 would be ideal. 'trim' is the difference in size between the fins of the turbine wheel at their smallest point in reference to the largest. The smaller trim number, the faster spool, the quicker you can plant the power. However, you'll sacrifice high RPM power for this low end spool. An H22 with a DSM turbo will have a powerband from probably 2000-5500 rpm, if you go with a T25 you may be able to extend those numbers by 500rpm. If you go with a GT28, slightly larger and more reliable then the DSM turbo's because they are dual ball bearing, you'll have a powerband from 3000-3500 all the way until redline. If I was going to do your build, this is my quick list of what to look for;

H22 motor
Turbo - A DSM TDO4 or TDO5, a T25, or Garrett GT28 - Selection of turbo depends on where you want your power to start and end.
turbo manifold flanged for t3/t4 turbo (or DSM if you buy a DSM turbo)
a good blow off valve - HKS, Greddy, or other comparable
a good wastegate - TIAL or comparable and have it loaded with a spring that will keep your boost beneath 9-10 psi (or run a boost controller to accomplish same thing)
all your charge piping and a good intercooler plus an adequate exhaust to let those gases escape.

This is your external kit in a nutshell, next your going to want to find your 'internal' parts which are going to be;

upgraded MAP
tuned ECU
upgraded injectors and maybe fuel rail
depending on mileage of motor your probably going to want to re-do all gaskets (if your getting a shop to do it like you say above then they'll probably do all this for you, but make sure you let them know you want it done because if you dont, they may not - even if it needs it).
do some reading on the reliability and capacitiy of the water and oil pumps as well, they may not be suited to boost from factory, or are just getting old and should be replaced as well.

Remember, you can find a good turbo, wastegate, blow off valve and even piping and hardware for alot less then the cost of buying new.. Do some shopping, save yourself some money

Anyways, sorry for the long-ish read, but if i can offer one last word of advice - quality never costs what it saves. Live by this, especially with turbo and supporting equipment.. This doesn't mean spend out the ass, but dont skimp, shop around for deals, and you'll end up with a good, fast, reliable product you can enjoy anytime!

Good Luck!
By boosted94
#84935 solid post. is this man a sales man?.. real good guy solid info, know him well does a lot of research so guys like us dont have to. keep it up colpitts.

and good luck with your build.