H22A
By xzachrickx
#337277 frm (Fiber Reinforced Metal)introduced in 1988 with the introduction of the B21A1. JDM and EDM prelude motor. FRM is a thin but strong lining material that consists of a fiber matrix, aluminum alloy, and aluminum oxide. FRM sleeves are very strong and can take a good deal of abuse, but with its strengts comes its weakness. becuase of the strength and composition of the frm sleeves it makes it easier for oil for pass the pistons rings, causeing you to burn oil and compromise the ability to use all the power the motor is making. which is absolutly something you dont want when turning to use your car to its full potential.

This is a block with frm sleeves. very shinny as you can see
frm by xzachrickx, on Flickr
heres a b series block which doesnt have frm sleeves
b series by xzachrickx, on Flickr
The following engines were created using FRM sleeves:
-B21A1
-H22A1
-H22A4
-H22A
-H23A
-F20C
-C32B(NSX)

one of the big problems people have with frm sleeves is that they think you can not boost a car with these sleeves. that is false the sleeves are very strong and can hold a good amount of pressure. it is the piston RINGLANDS that fails. the ringlands are the spaces between the rings. here is a diagram of a piston
piston break down by xzachrickx, on Flickr
most honda ringlands are fairly small, but on h22 motors the ringlands are even smaller, therefore not being able to take as much abuse as a stock b series or d series. this is what a failed ringland looks like.
badringlands by xzachrickx, on Flickr
ringlands break when you detonate due to too lean of a mixture/too much timing/too much power for stock pistons. also side note because this has happened to one of my motors, when running to much time the crank is trying to work against itself and basically beat it self to death. destroying the rod bearing/rods/cylinder/pistons, or anyhting in its way. this is what my motor looked like afterwards...... =[
Untitled by xzachrickx, on Flickr
the ringlands will fail even on N/A setups

but back to the frm sleeves.....
they are very strong and even tho people say "you cant boost motors with frm sleeves" they are wrong.... mahle has come up with psitons that are designed to with with frm sleeved motors and people have had great luck wth them.
these are 10.0 to 1 pistons
*note- mahle makes pistons for h22 frm sleeved blocks and cast iron (darton) sleeved blocks. you must make sure that the correct pistion are order for your application.

im sure there is stuff i have left out but im just sharing what i hva come across. if you have anything to share that im missing please feel free to post up i appreciate people share with me first had info rather then people that have never touch it.
By xzachrickx
#337283 thanks man i really appreciate it one of my buddy is going to take some pics of his new mahle pistons next to some stock p13s so i can show the difference
By xzachrickx
teal_dx wrote:Good write up sir! I'm going to have to make a tech section in the DIY list for useful info threads like this. :thumb:

have you happened to make a tech thread yet? :)
By Eg6H2D
#339239 Woot Woot! Mahle FTW!!! FRM Sleeves FTW too!