H22A
By Laziz
#321540 Hi mates! I'm currently planning to build an EG with a JDM h23a dohc vtec, but I'm curious about the fact what ECU should I better use. For the first time I'm planning to ride with a stock H22 ECU, but next I will turn it to a OBD1 ECU, so - What ECU is more preferable? p28, p30 or p72? What chip and program for it I should better use?

Now I can buy either chipped p28 or the same p28 but already tuned for H23vtec engine...

Thanks in advance :thumb:
By JUICE
#321544 Whichever manual, Vtec, obd1 you can get the cheapest. If there's someone local to you that tunes cars, they should be able to put a h23 base map on it for ya. If not, phearable.net can get you taken care of.
By Laziz
#321547 Thanks, JUICE!
I'm also thinking of p72 with hondata or hondavert, but it costs 3 times more , however it has IAB and knock sensor. The only disadvantage is the price =(
AS far as understand presence of IAB and KS will help to tune the engine better? Am I right?
By HeikDiesel
#321550 Tuners don't use knock sensors to tune usually because they aren't very accurate. IAB is only if you are using stock manifold. If you have a skunk2 or other brand you don't need to worry about it
By mooze
Laziz wrote:Thanks, JUICE!
I'm also thinking of p72 with hondata or hondavert, but it costs 3 times more , however it has IAB and knock sensor. The only disadvantage is the price =(
AS far as understand presence of IAB and KS will help to tune the engine better? Am I right?

i used a chipped p28 with my stock h23a and it ran great. didnt go to the s300 until i started boost
By xzachrickx
#337297 iknow this is an older post but some poeple maybe be also looking for the same answer as you were. i think that the best ecu for any kind of swap or mods would be a stand alone. such as hondata, aem, motec. those are all great ways to get what you want out of your car. yes it is not the cost of a chiped ecu ($150-200) and an egay chip (37 chips for $2.00) not sure on price because i have never looked into it. i feel it is a great way to loss a motor, due to you cant make a tune for a car and have never heard it run. yes you cant get the tune kinda close, they are called "base maps". a base map is made to limp your car to your tuner, not drive around and rape the holy dog balls off of. but yes if you are just wanting to do I/H/E (intake, header, exhaust) then a stock map with aliitle bit of changes will run good, then get a chipped ecu from http://www.phearable.net/. i had ordered a s300 (p28 with hondata chip) for setup. which was h2b bone stock everything with ferrea flatface valves, and the "tune" was pig rich (reading 10.3 and the leanest point of backing it up in my driveway lol). so i had my tuner come to me so we could make changes. hondata cost arund 7-800, pretty good software for tuning N/A or boost applications. AEM is proable the next step up, it has all the same stuff you can do with the hondata but there is also boost by gear, many n20 options, tcs settings, as well as some other things that are helpful to your tuner. motech m84 is about $2,250 on ebay, and that is just the ecu itself and then you have to get all new wiring,harnesses, sensors. but well worth it if you are competing. you will have complete controle over ever as aspect. all in all hondata is the best bang for your buck. i have ran a hondata s300 for about 3 years now and have had a h2b on pump gas setup, gsr I/H/E, turbo gsr, aswell as h2b on E85 I/H/E running 2200cc gram and idles amazing. just my 2 cents tho