H22A
By siraig
#140164 hey all,

I have had my ej1 for a few months and love this car to death. it needs work done. so i am just going to go pull a motor to build a swap.

im thinking either b18... orrr h22. I really am leaning towards the h because of how easy they are to get ahold of. only thing im not sure of is the actual swap. how hard is it? anyone have it done here? pics?

thanks a lot
By chrono404
#140197 When you swap in a H(or an F) you have to convert to Cable Shifters. As stated above the weight distribution is the worst part about the H Swap.
You have much more of the engine infront of the wheels. This will give you more understeer. You can tune your suspension to compensate to a degree, However if you plan on Doing circuit events then Going with a B Series swap will be much better for your handling.
By OmarG
#140205 if you do H22, get the H2B tranny kit. I think that would solve the cable shifter problems.
By Greasedmonkey
#140345 moved to the H motor section.
By i8umup
OmarG wrote:if you do H22, get the H2B tranny kit. I think that would solve the cable shifter problems.

i totally agree with this... im on my second h22 eg. my first was a sedan and i went with the h style tranny had to cut the floor drill the holes for the cables and all that crap. plus if you want to go back for what ever reason your stuck welding in metal because the stock shifter is smaller than the ludes. my new eg has the h2b kit on it. its makes u drill no holes, its clean it make the car quickier so h2b :thumb:
By siraig
#141099 thanks for the information...

how bad is the weight distribution? I want to auto-x and i love driving in the turns. I want power on a budget with n/a. I want it to be reliable. is a standard b18ls a better swap over an h22 w/ vtec? etc?
By dawg316
#141110 Id say go for the h22. its realy not that much more heavyer then the b18. plus the weight is all over the axels, so better traction. h22's are beast compared to b18. dont get me wrong but there is a diffence between the 2.

but if its your first swap id go with the b18c. revs high, real easy swap. tons of info documented. plus theres more parts avaliable for the b series motors compared to h series
By chrono404
siraig wrote:thanks for the information...

how bad is the weight distribution?

You will have noticeably more understeer with the H22 swap over a B Series swap, As stated before its because the weight in front of the axles.

If it was going to be for Drag Racing then it would be a no-brainer. If you do Auto Cross you will have to put a bigger rear sway bar and stronger springs to compensate.

siraig wrote: I want to auto-x and i love driving in the turns. I want power on a budget with n/a. I want it to be reliable. is a standard b18ls a better swap over an h22 w/ vtec? etc?

a B18ls with a B16 Transmission will be fast. It will be a much easier and cheaper installation then a H22. If you go with a H22 Swap, I highly recommend a H2B Kit as you get the better B Series transmissions.
However they go for around $1000.

For what you want to do and since your on a budget I would say a B18 LS and a b16 Transmission is the best bet.
By asianrob
#141131 are you planing on DD this car?... my cuz has H2B hatch.. he says its fast as shit but hates using it as a DD because of the weight in the front. sometimes you have to sacrifice.